Bog burn prevention even without mud?

Nudibranch

Visit site
Winter is coming...and my Dales gets bog burn, and I need her to have maximum feather for next year's showing season. She has a 10 acre winter field, with no mud bar a tiny patch at the gate but the grass is old pasture and has longer patches. I think it's this which must wet the feather. It seems to snap off at coronet length, so sometimes she looks a bit like I've given her a crap trim.

Does pig oil and sulphur actually work? She lives out 24/7 and I won't compromise that so it may just be that we have to live with it I guess.

be positive

Visit site
It works on the Dales here, he has it on several times a week once winter sets in, we are on clay, have mud and he lives out 24/7 most of the year, may be in at night if it gets very wet, I don't think he lost any feather last winter although it was less wet than normal we did still have some mud but the pig oil stops it getting really into the hair and creates a greasy barrier that cannot get wet.
He also gets fed linseed all year as he is a bit itchy.

GoldenWillow

Visit site
I used pig oil on my traditional cobs feathers for the first time last winter and didn't get any bog burn this time. I use just the pig oil rather than pig oil and sulphur, and put it on about once a week. We did have a drier than usual winter and little mud but I'm going to do it again this year which given that it's already so wet is not looking like a good winter so will be interested to see how it works.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
It;s the claggy mud that is the worst for bog burn rather than wet mud. Oiling feathers does help but claggy gateways are the worst thing for removing feather so do whatever you can to avoid them.