Bog pony to Competition pony update

Michen

Visit site
Been a while since I’ve done an update on the bog pony! He was bought direct and unseen from Ireland after I lost my horse of a lifetime to a broken leg in colic surgery recovery.

He has been such a nightmare! What arrived was a very weak, thin and poor pony which behaved very sweetly (though certainly with a cheeky edge). We then had reoccurring issues with seedy toe, resulting in a resection. Things went well for a while after that and he was looking super, but I discovered he had some serious travelling issues which resulted in lots of damage to my lorry (thankfully not to the pony). A pro failed to sort the issue out so I was on my own and after lots of blood, sweat and tears (and bruises on me!) I had a pony who travelled like a dream- though he was for sale for a few weeks but I managed to put off anyone viewing him! He was very sharp and explosive which seemed reasonable given his age, general temperament etc, suddenly feeling "well".

But then he started to get cross and resistant going into canter so a full work up was performed, MRI’s later and he was diagnosed with mild bruising in his front feet. He was prescribed 6 weeks quiet walk work but actually had a few months off in the field. He was then vet checked, shoes removed and I started long reining him out on hacks to build back up. He was appalling. Nappy, rearing and spinning at absolutely any opportunity. Some days he would be foot perfect others he would be abysmal to the point of me skiing across the fields to keep hold of him and having to constantly be ready to manage a rear/fly buck/spin. I vividly remember thinking I’d never, ever get on him again.

So I got a young local rider advertising her riding services involved. He never actually did the things under saddle that he did on the long reins to the same degree, but she was the best decision I ever made. She got him out hacking and after a couple of months he was back to the jolly, fresh little horse but not twattish that he had been before. I got back in the saddle and started to enjoy riding again. His rider took him to his first dressage competition where he behaved impeccably in the warm up, winning his first ever test and coming third in his second.

I have been taking him out and about to clinics and lessons, he’s still very “emotional” and feels like an unexploded bomb when we go out but he has.. touch wood… not reverted to exploding and has really kept a lid on his excitement. I’ve been hacking him out on my own and really enjoying him, and mucking around at home… plus doing boxing day pub rides.

Exactly this Sunday a year ago I took Basil to some dressage and he won both tests. So a year later I’m putting on the brave pants and taking Boggle.. we shall see how it goes!

I really hope I can get back out of the start box again some day, the plan is for him to do some low level eventing this season but with me very much on the ground. I’m hoping that I can invest enough in him to make him into the horse I need him to be for me… or maybe I’ll get a grip and do it myself. We shall see. For now it is just nice to actually love the little dude quite a bit, it’s not the same and I don’t know that it will ever be what I had with Basil but I am really excited to see what 2018 brings. I am so glad that I bought a "project", even though I have enlisted the help of a rider it is immensely rewarding and satisfying to watch him blossom, despite the huge amount of stress he has caused. But good things never come easy right...!?

Here he is a few days after he arrived and one before. Looking like a skinny foal/ugly ducking…
Xs7T4Wb.jpg

ckGkJ94.jpg

And more recent..
pvFw6uP.jpg

JNNvqWZ.png

REMooyD.jpg

CO03JPW.jpg

ZsAGdlc.jpg

hO4Oz1G.jpg

Re creating funny facebook videos… (please no fun police on the lack of hat!)
gjbsTDD.jpg

U6kJ2VX.jpg

tVteEnM.jpg

Last edited:

chaps89

Visit site
He's really come into himself hasn't he. He's looking smashing at the moment, I'm so glad to hear he's starting to settle after the rocky start you had :) Good luck for Sunday!

Michen

Visit site
He's really come into himself hasn't he. He's looking smashing at the moment, I'm so glad to hear he's starting to settle after the rocky start you had :) Good luck for Sunday!

Thank you! Yes he is, it's so nice that he feels "on side" now, like he wants to learn and work rather than a few months ago where everything felt like a battle!

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Oh so fabulous! He's looking great :D

I'm glad you're keeping hold of him for now. I think he's a real cracker, so am looking forwards to more updates. I love the expression in his eye, it so reminds me of my lad - though he was also rather emotional about life from age 4-6, before turning gradually into a rock steady eddie, and I wouldn't have dared put him on a pair of long reins at that stage in his life, so I'm impressed you even tried with Boggle.

Here's to an exciting 2018. You really deserve it

Michen

Visit site
Oh so fabulous! He's looking great :D

I'm glad you're keeping hold of him for now. I think he's a real cracker, so am looking forwards to more updates. I love the expression in his eye, it so reminds me of my lad - though he was also rather emotional about life from age 4-6, before turning gradually into a rock steady eddie, and I wouldn't have dared put him on a pair of long reins at that stage in his life, so I'm impressed you even tried with Boggle.

Here's to an exciting 2018. You really deserve it

That’s interesting to hear. I guess I was long reining as I did it lots when I first got him because he was too weak to carry a rider. So it seemed a good way to build him back up after the lameness issue. But I did wonder whether he would dare do the almighty rears under saddle that he did on the long reins though it was a viscous circle because obviously I then felt I must fix it on the long reins and ensure his behaviour was consistent before getting on board.

Tricky one!

Thank you. There is something about him that has made him stick!

Mule

Visit site
He looks very perky! The work you've done has made a massive difference. He's very smart. He looks very cute following the carrot with his tongue out

Last edited:

Mike007

Visit site
I am so glad that I bought a "project", even though I have enlisted the help of a rider
.................What on earth do you mean! Seems more like ,"even though I had the good common sense to realise that I cant do everything and know when to use help".Dont sell yourself short, you have done a great job with this chap.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Phew, you don't half put yourself through the ringer, where horses are concerned 😣😉😁😃 He's so smart though and it'll be great to read your updates on him.

On a more important note 🙄 what make ate those gorgeous long brown boots you're wearing???

Oh, and I agree. Nothing wrong with employing help at all. I've always done it when needed and have certainly reaped massive benefits xxx

Michen

Visit site
I am so glad that I bought a "project", even though I have enlisted the help of a rider
.................What on earth do you mean! Seems more like ,"even though I had the good common sense to realise that I cant do everything and know when to use help".Dont sell yourself short, you have done a great job with this chap.

Thank you! I guess I’m just disappointed as I did all his first solo hacks, etc and to have to admit that I was too nervous was a bit of a bitter pill to swallow. That said I’m glad I didn’t as if he had sensed an ounce of doubt in me a few months ago I have no doubt I’d have a pony on my hands with real behavioural Issues!

Michen

Visit site
Phew, you don't half put yourself through the ringer, where horses are concerned �������� He's so smart though and it'll be great to read your updates on him.

On a more important note �� what make ate those gorgeous long brown boots you're wearing???

Oh, and I agree. Nothing wrong with employing help at all. I've always done it when needed and have certainly reaped massive benefits xxx

Thank you! The ones in the bareback photo? They are mountain horse snowy riders. I don’t recommend as at £300 they were not one bit waterproof and are the second pair, still not waterproof...

rosiesowner

Visit site
My God, he's a totally different horse. Looks so much more settled and happy than in that first photo... He'll always know you as the person who gave him the chance to be a proper pony. Here's to many beautiful years of enjoyment for you both. Oh, and good luck for your dressage!! Get polishing those boots and I reckon add some bling to that Micklem :D:D:p;)

Northern

Visit site
He looks great! Such a journey with baby ponies, mine has just started becoming rather sharp and jolly at a young 5 :D I think he's growing into something quite special there!

Lammy

Visit site
He looks fantastic! You definitely shouldn't sell yourself short, your hard work has gone into him too :) love your updates!