Bog spavin and lameness experiences?

mandwhy

Visit site
Hi everyone! Long time no log in :)

My haffy has developed some bog spavin squishy swellings, mostly on the outer sides of her hocks. I thought I would rest her and see how they go before calling the vet a she has just been turned out this winter due to daylight.

It initially appeared on the left and seemed to not be causing a problem but now on both sides and she seems to be struggling with the right hock stepping under fully, which may explain the couple of times she bucked me off in canter as I remember both times were on the right rein (although not a tight circle just around farm tracks) :-( she is fine in walk and I have done little walk only hacks around the farm with a horse that needs nannying.

I know that it is probably her straight leg conformation mostly, and she is on superflex joint supplement which did seem to help a bit with her general flexibility (she has always been a bit stiff all over, she is so immensely well built and muscular I think she struggles to be more athletic at the best of times).

So I'm getting the vet out this week, I just wondered what people's experiences were and whether your horses have had successful treatment for underlying causes? I am guessing she will need some steroid injections or similar.

She has never been very able to get her hocks underneath her and was very on the forehand so in a way I am glad that there might be something we can treat in order to help her be more comfortable with that type of work, as I had started to think that was just the way she was built.

I don't really want to give her too much bute due to stomach related side effects (she is quite sensitive).