Boiling barley overnight (URGENT reply please)

vicm2509

Visit site
Sorry, im not the best cook so was just wondering.....

I have added some Barley to my linseed (which has been soaking since last night) and it has been on boil for about 2 hrs. Im really tired and its nowhere near ready. So will it be ok to leave it on a really low simmer, as in not really any bubbles overnight? Or will the pan boil dry? Pan is quite big and there isnt much barley in there, say about 1/8th pan of whole barley/linseed and pan is full to the top with water.

Hope I dont sound totally stupid
crazy.gif

hadfos

Visit site
If you want to do this i would set ya alarm every few hours
crazy.gif
,tis amazing how quick water will boil off even if left low,bit risky to leave unattended all night

Weezy

Visit site
Noooo do not leave it on a hob, very bad idea as it will prob end up catching on the base of the pan! This is why Agas are so good as you can leave it in the warming oven LOL!

vicm2509

Visit site
Gosh, im glad I asked now.

When I asked about cooking linseed a while ago lots of people suggested I leave it to simmer overnight
shocked.gif

I usually cook it during the day but I forgot to soak it on saturday night and now im working until Friday
frown.gif
Will just have to pop it on again after work tomorrow.

dozzie

Visit site
If the linseed is cooked then why not just turn of the heat and leave it.

I used to boil barley for an hour and then leave it in the hot water overnight. Off the heat! If it has been boiling for 2 hours it is pretty much there anyway.

ETA I was always told to used cooked linseed withing 24 hours. But cooked barley can last for longer. So you can do a bigger batch of cooked barley in one go and then just do the linseed daily.

Weezy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Gosh, im glad I asked now.

When I asked about cooking linseed a while ago lots of people suggested I leave it to simmer overnight
shocked.gif

I usually cook it during the day but I forgot to soak it on saturday night and now im working until Friday
frown.gif
Will just have to pop it on again after work tomorrow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, leaving it overnight was always the way to do it, but it was usually done using an Aga. Also if you use heavy pans such as Le Crueset then you have more of a chance of it not catching, but modern pans tend to catch whatever and then you will end up with a mess
crazy.gif

Take the pan off and wrap in foil and then a towel, it will retain heat and you won't have to worry
smile.gif

Cuffey

Visit site
An old fashioned hay box is brilliant
Bring to boil in pan/casserole with good lid
Transfer to cardboard box lined with hay
Cover with more hay, close box
It continues to cook for hours

hollyandivy123

Visit site
i use to cheat, get some normal rolled barley put it in the pressure cooker add water, 20 min later all done no cooking for hours quick and less mess

i cup makes a full pressure cooker depending on size
smirk.gif

jaffs

Visit site
Cuffey, i've never heard of a haybox, sounds fascinating. The old way of cooking linseed or barley was to leave it on the Aga all night on a low low heat,so i think that's where the idea to leave it cooking all night came from, if you are Lucky enough to have one can i borrow it please!!
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

ColouredFan

Visit site
I use a slow cooker too, have in plugged in in the feed room and cook some every day to cover the two feeds, i can then switch all the electric off at night