Bolshiness!

Parkranger

Visit site
Has anyone purchased a horse and then found that once they settle in they start getting a bit more cheeky?

Having a few minor battles with Ty which I seem to be winning but I think that being a TB he can feel my nerves when it comes to being around horses all the time again. I'm getting there but the little sod can feel everything!

A complete angel in the saddle (so far) but need to get him to respect me more on the ground. Everything has to be done quite slowly as he's a bit jumpy - not sure how much is nerves and how much I'm making him nervous!

PS - I'm not a shivering wreck, just tend to take my time doing things!

marmite

Visit site
Its funny you should ask that because fi's new boy warlock who i ride ect was a real gent when he first came to us and then a HHO member krissi came to visit us and she helped me turn him and jay out and he just totally tried to take the mick out of her although she handled him very well.
And yesterday fi was putting hay out and i was holding the 2 boys getting ready to turn them out first thing warlock did was leap into the air and nearly landed on me then he ran past the front of jay,which meant i lost my lead rope and he buggered off down the track.
He isnt nasty just every now and again goes im a cob off i go lol he is so cheeky.

Parkranger

Visit site
He doesn't do anything like that - a two year old could turn him out!

He'll get there - quiet, persistent determination is the only way forward I think.....!

ruscara

Visit site
I bought a TBx a few years ago now, and he was almost devoid of personality for the first six months or so. Very quiet, although he didn't seem depressed at the time, but absolutely no problem on the ground or to ride. Then all of a sudden he seemed to 'wake up'. He never became difficult, but he was a different horse after that. I guess he was sussing us out.
I often wonder what horses must think when they are sold. To be taken away from everything they know, with no warning, and find themselves in a totally strange place, with new people and new horses, must be terrifying for them. I have seen it happen with other horses, too.
I think with Ty you should be pleased that he is now feeling secure enough to test his boundaries. If you are nervous with him, he is bound to sense it. Taking things slowly is fine. You will soon get used to each other and you will gain your confidence too.

SillyMare

Visit site
Lexi AKA the Ginger Assassin.

Knows her mind and frightened of nothing and nobody! Quite like that about her though - she has a very strong personality!

Very frustrating at times though - she cycles through every resistance in the book (as soon as we sort one out she finds another) and our dressage is a disaster!

Vey

Visit site
I'd get a series of gorund work exercises and work through them - build confidence for both of you. Nothing like seeing progress to make you feel good. Perfect Manners (Kelly Marks) is good, and some people swear by Parelli

Parkranger

Visit site
Definately - I think we underestimate the affect that moving has on a horse....

He's very loving though but it's just a few things he tests me on (ie bridling up - head in the air and picking out feet) but I've given myself a stern talking to as he's just going to get progressively worse if I don't clamp down on it now. One thing I never do is give up! I'm also trying keeping the chat to a minimum and not calling him a good boy for picking up his foot but once the foot is picked out.

they're so bloody sharp!

Parkranger

Visit site
Yep, I'm well versed with Kelly Marks and tend to be that way inclined anyway.

He does respond to my school teacher bellow 'No Ty' though which means I don't need to shout at him (which gets you no where in my opinion!)

I can now get on without him walking off which is a big step for us.

lizzieuk1

Visit site
Have had my 4 yo about 3 months and he's also tried it opn a few times, generally a real gent but as you say they do seem to change a bit once settled in, best thing i find is not to let them take the micky too much, i try not to get really cross just stay firm and let him know who's the boss of the herd!

horsegirl

Visit site
my TB has a lovely friendly nature but he does try it on with my daughter and husband if they are not 100% confident. He pretends he is going to bite when being groomed, and won't pick his feet up if they approach him tentatively.

barkinghorse

Visit site
Yes, William was a donkey for the first 6 mths, but as he gained weight and confidence he started trying to push the boundaries.
I don't like being physical with horses but the odd jab up the bum with the shavings fork hasn't done him any harm.
I find that if i am going to do something, i have to do it as i'm thinking it, IE. go to put his bridle on otherwise he has time to evade it.
he is big and domineering, but i find a sharp AH!! with my voice makes him think twice about trying something on.
Sorry for waffling but when he first got bolshi, he used to pin me up against the wall with his bottom, Which was not only worrying, but dominant too!!!
Jo xx

Parkranger

Visit site
OMG - Ty's not bloshy at all compared to some of these stories!

It's weird as when he was rubbish with his feet last night I went to his head and he honestly thought I was going to clout him! Calmed him down, tried again and he was ok. All about persistence I think...!

dieseldog

Visit site
Just be firm and consistent with him, even on the smallest of things, if you let the little things slip, he'll keep pushing.

Parkranger

Visit site
I'm quite good at that - even if it takes me 5 mins to get on him (which it used to) I kept trying until he gave up. Seemed to have worked with getting on as he's fine now.

JAK

Visit site
I think there's often a 'honeymoon period' when you acquire a new horse & it's only after a while that you start to see the 'real horse' emerge or they just start testing you out a bit, once the've got their 'hooves under the table, so to speak!
smile.gif

LBO was very quiet when we first had him, almost robotic on the lunge etc. & whilst he never really tried it on, he did seem to suddenly 'develop a personality'! (Apart from that, he hasn't changed at all, since the day I bought him!)

CB was a troll from the word go & the super-confident FOO was a little s*d on occasions - spinning round & refusing to go into his stable, barging into you etc., though tbh, he was like that almost from the start! (I think we had two days while he 'sussed us out', that's all!)

Best advice is to simply start as you mean to go on - Ty is your horse now, he has to follow your rules & routine & get to know & trust you as his new mum!

Get a friend to maybe stand nearby while you pick his feet out etc., who can step in if you really need it but mainly just for a bit of moral support!
You've had a long break from horses & even the simplest of tasks may take you a little longer than usual to accomplish at first & he may well be interpreting your hesitancy & slowness at nervousness around him!

Parkranger

Visit site
Totally agree! Someone in the yard showed me how to pick out his back feet while really supporting him (ie knee under his leg) and he just doesn't struggle when you do that - not sure if he know's he could clout you when you're that near or whether it's a balance thing (he seems to have alot of balance issues at the momet) but once she assured me he wasn't being nasty, I know that I have to get in there quick and not faff around or he will throw his legs around so he can balance again!

So, I need to stop faffing and making my horse nervous!
grin.gif

Had a funny ride out the other day - we hit a grass gallops and the two cobs with me where so on their toes, Ty was chilled and when we went into canter he flew past them while they were spooking at everything in sight....he does like to go fast does our Ty! Have to say that I LET him go past, if you keep him at the back, his ears are flat back but he deals with it!

Mellymoo1

Visit site
Ty's just testing you I think! My horse is still pretty new to me but he gets cheekier by the day, he managed to trash my grooming box the other night. I try not to get stressed out with him, a growl or a smack on the bum usually sorts him out. Main thing to remember is be consistant so that he understands you won't tolerate any naughty behavior..

JAK

Visit site
If you go in for all this TFT stuff, maybe give that a go?

Being 'slow' is OK, as long as it's a calm, confident kind of 'slow', rather than a fumbling, jerky sort of 'slow', (if that makes sense?)!
Means more 'mummy time' too, if you're not rushing, which is always nice!
smile.gif

You will get better as time progresses - it's a bit like having a new baby for the first time - takes 10 minutes just to get a babygro on & you're scared to do the poppers up in case their legs fall off or something!
Within a week or so though, you're holding them in one arm, & shoving on a babygro one-handed in 30 seconds flat, whilst using the other hand to talk on the phone! LOL

We also desperately want our new horse to 'like us' & this in itself can cause hesitancy etc., as you don't want to offend or upset them in any way!
Allow yourself plenty of time to give him some really good grooming sessions - find out all his little ticklish places, where he likes to be scratched etc. & just get to know him where there's no pressure or time constraints!

If he plays up being led or whatever, be quick with a correction but keep it all calm & low-key - horses behave best & feel 'safest' around a handler who exudes an authority of quiet control & innate confidence!
I am sure that given a few short weeks, you will feel a bit more of a 'team' & be wondering what on earth you were worried about!
smile.gif

p.s. A friend of mine had to take her positively screwy mare to a large veterinary practice for further investigations & was petrified as to how they would cope with her!
On arrival, a tiny, wizened old man appeared, said "I'll take her for you" & she meekly toddled off with him like a lamb - she just 'knew' that here was someone to be trusted, respected & not to be messed with & responded accordingly!

Parkranger

Visit site
It's annoying cause I've had loads of horses before but I think it's just going to take me time to get used to being around them again!

We're getting there - last night he had to wait outside his stable as I was mucking out - he got a bit ratty and I just ignored him then he chilled out!

JAK

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
It's annoying cause I've had loads of horses before but I think it's just going to take me time to get used to being around them again!

[/ QUOTE ]
And therein lies part of your 'problem' I reckon! LOL

You've had a long break from horses & you're perhaps expecting too much of yourself at the moment, I think!
You have nothing to prove & I would imagine your fellow liveries are quite impressed with you tbh, rather than thinking you're a bit slow & feeble!
grin.gif

Take a deeeeeeep breath & start again! You're perfectly competent, just need a bit of time to fall back into the routine of day-to-day horse ownership, that's all!
smile.gif

Rachel153

Visit site
I have an ISP horse on loan. When I first got her she was perfectly behaved. A couple of months later she started getting very jumpy in her stable when I put her tack on not letting me put the bridle over her ears, spinning round the stable when I put her saddle on and did the girth up.

After getting a new fitted saddle, and thinking of every reason for why she would change so suddenly, it all came down to her not having enough exercise and variety. In the first few months of me having her, she had moved yards and went from being ridden a couple of hours everyday, to being ridden 3 times a week.

Now she is being ridden 6 times a week by the yard, 3 times a week by me, and 3 times a week by her other sharer. This may seem a lot but she is much happier.

Although she still trys to get away with things, she very quickly gives up, because she knows I won't let her anymore.

How much excersise does your horse get? Is he turned out in the day?

lennysmith

Visit site
Ooo Josie was just like this. She got soooo bargy and bolshy. I got one of thos controller headcollars in the end, and did loads of excercises with her. Teaching her baout my personaly space. Reversing her round the school, in and out of stable and when I said stop I meant it!!!

It worked at treat, haven't had to use it since baby D was born. Would def reccomemend getting one.

Parkranger

Visit site
He was in a school for 4 months and getting ALOT of work! He's now ridden 4 times a week atleast and turned out during the day.

In the saddle he's an angel although more forward going (which is a good thing in my eyes!)

We'll get there - just need to lay boundaries. I do everything except groom him in his stable now (feet, tack up etc) so he knows that if he swings around he'll smash his bum on the stable - seems to work.

Rupert2006

Visit site
I know how you feel about the coming back to horses thing- me too! It has been just over 3 months now with my TB and I am much calmer around him now and he seems very settled - although he is a bit out of condition at the moment so a part of me is a bit paranoid that me might change into a nutter one day!

For a good while I couldn't go down the yard without taking load of rescue remedy to chill me out as I was so nervous and he would pick up on it in a flash. Now I only take it very occasionally if I am feeling excited about riding him as I prefer to be calm around him. And rescue remedy really works. (you can get the spray version from Boots)

He seems to have developed a habit of snatching his feet back from me when I pick out his feet, so I tell him off and make him give me his foot back, seems to work and if I can feel him trying to take it away again I say his name in a warning manner and he stops! I don't know if your TB is the same but mine seems almost voice activated!

Parkranger

Visit site
I know what you mean about voice activation - it's very weird!

TBH, I'm not that nervous around him as I know he's not a nasty horse and I do think that the feet thing is due to balance. Its just very unnerving when a 16hh is waving his back feet around! When I balance his leg on my knee he really leans in so I'm guessing he wouldn't need to do that if he had his own balance!

I don't think it helps that he hasn't got much of a back end - although we're getting there slowly! x

That's good news about your boy settling in - I've only had him a month so need to chill out !