Bolshy pony!

Louby

Visit site
Having had Sports Horses practically all my life, I now own a 3 yr old Highland Pony. He was nervy but sweet when he came to us over a year ago but I think hes found his feet and I need to try and put a stop to it now!
Hes very very foody! I could feed treats to my girl and she was never pushy or rude, whereas he can sniff a mint out a mile away and tries to mug you. He does get a treat when turned out and caught, as he was hit and miss to catch at first, a treat after doing his feet as that was difficult at first, but thats it. He sometimes comes to the stable door with his ears back and today whilst working with him in the school, just baby stuff, for a split second I got the impression he did think to come at me! I quickly sent him off and he was fine then. I dont let him walk all over me, he is well behaved, goes back, moves over etc but I need to nip this in the bud as I feel hes losing respect a little and I dont like it! Hes a clever active pony that I think I need to do a little more with, its a bit limited with him only being 3 but we go walks in hand, dabbled in long reining and basically just learning voice commands and manners.

Any help or advice is much appreciate. I think a no treat rule is the first thing Im going to have to do, it just feels so odd

Flicker

Visit site
Do you have any trainers in your area who have experience with bringing on youngsters? Booking a couple of sessions with them to develop some techniques for ground work could help?
Also, could you teach him things that occupy his brain a bit - like Spanish walk, taking a bow etc - to keep his focus on you?
From a safety perspective, always handle him in a hat, gloves and suitable footwear (I’m sure you do).

Louby

Visit site
Do you have any trainers in your area who have experience with bringing on youngsters? Booking a couple of sessions with them to develop some techniques for ground work could help?
Also, could you teach him things that occupy his brain a bit - like Spanish walk, taking a bow etc - to keep his focus on you?
From a safety perspective, always handle him in a hat, gloves and suitable footwear (I’m sure you do).
Thank you, hes not my first youngster, just my first Native pony, since a child lol. They or he is soooo much different to the Sports horses Im used to.

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
You could still give him treats but off the floor rather than out of your hand?

This.

My cobs are food obsessed and they know the treat giving routine, they have to take a step back and turn their head away, then I drop the treat and (when I'm ready) step back and then they can come and take it.

Same for bucket feed, moving the fence for fresh grass etc, they always have to step back and turn away and wait till I say to get what they want.

If I'm in a hurry or the weathers foul or whatever and I don't bother I soon see it in their behaviour.

I've had horses I could hand feed etc, but not these two

fidleyspromise

Visit site
I found my Highland is super smart and 3 steps ahead if I don't keep her mind busy. I do in hand work - get them thinking about their feet, back up, back up over a pole, side pass, playing with scary objects, going over random scattered poles - anything that gets the mind thinking.

Clicker training might be useful - I watched a lesson where if a horse mugs put it behind a fence/in a stable and when the horse looks away/isn't mugging click and treat. Once the horse knows the click and isn't mugging this could be useful down the line too.