Bone bruise and soft tissue damage in hoof - any tips

paddi22

Visit site
One horse recently stood on a large object in the field and it went through hoof very close to pedal bone in hind leg. No infection, but there a finger-sized tunnel in hoof seen on xray, and suspected bone bruise and soft tissue damage causing lameness. Vet said 10 weeks restricted turnout in a small sand arena and then check again. Horse is barefoot.

has anyone any tips of advice on anything I can do/feed/buy to help the healing process while I'm bouncing off the walls waiting for it to heal😅

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I have no idea if comfrey actually works but its old name is knitbone and it might make you feel better if you feed some.

Flipping bad luck, except on the timing with this weather. I hope it heals without a problem.

doodle

Visit site
Mine has just recovered from a pedal.bine fracture. I fed him comfry from feedmark. It said to just feed for a month and I think that cost under £30. I decided it couldn't hurt and it wasn't expensive so if it did nothing I didn't mind. He healed better than the vet thought he would. So who knows but if made me feel better! Vet had said there was nothing I could feed that would help. I also upped his balancer (Spillers daily balancer) to full rations as I had been feeding at half rate.

paddi22

Visit site
thanks for the comfrey suggestions. just an update - vet xrayed horse and said the injury had healed MUCH faster than expected and horse is now sound again. I fed him the comfrey and also used an arc equine on him, so between them the sped up the process a lot by the looks of it!

Goldenstar

Visit site
Comfrey is extremely powerful and needs to be used with caution as no work has been done on safe amounts to feed .