Bone demineralisation in sesamoid bone?

blood_magik

Visit site
Im struggling to find anything online so thought I’d ask here - Has anyone had any experience of bone demineralisation in the sesamoid bone?

There is a spot of demineralisation showing on the fetlock xray and I’ve been told there’s a 0-5% chance of this causing an issue in the future. Horse passed flexion tests and was sound on the hard and in a circle so it’s obviously not causing an issue just now.

Horse is young and has done a fair bit (on track for age classes). He’s also a big boy at 17.1 and I’m wondering if there’s a chance it could be related to that and the fact that he has a minor foot imbalance?

Will be speaking to my vet again later on but thought I’d ask here as well.

TIA 🙂

ihatework

Visit site
Not that exact issue.

I did part own an event horse that when we sold & he was vetted was mildly positive on a front flexion and xrays revealed some serious remodelling of the fetlock. He was a slightly quirky little fella and we had been struggling to sell him so were pleased that the buyer was still interested (at a reduced price obviously), and he has stayed in that home and 4+ years later is still Eventing.

If you take enough X-rays of a horse you are bound to find something, plus interpretations are subjective.

Given the horse examined well and the vet has given such low probabilities of a problem I’d buy the horse, and if I were selling wouldn’t be taking silly offers either.

blood_magik

Visit site
Think I’m going to buy. There’s a couple of sarcoids that need lasered so I’m thinking of asking to take £500 off the purchase price - or is that cheeky? 🙈

ihatework

Visit site
Think I’m going to buy. There’s a couple of sarcoids that need lasered so I’m thinking of asking to take £500 off the purchase price - or is that cheeky? 🙈

No, I’d imagine the price of a show jumper ready to jump young horse classes, £500 is a tiny %!