Bone spavin

vickers22

Visit site
I dont know if you know what it is but it is fairly common in veterans due to the cartilage wearing away, or from arthritis.Many people have their horses x-rayed to see the full extent of the damage.If you give your horse bute you will slow the healing process for the cartilage to wear away and new bone to form, howver if you give bute it will cause your horse less pain but take longer to heal.You should give your horse regular exercise but make it light as it will probably hurt him. You can also get injections but this involves the vet, and a long course of medication i think. Hope this helps..

TequilaMist

Visit site
When an ex horse of mine(6yr old clydesdale x) developed bonespavin,treatment was bute and work.Bute was so I could work her and 'aggrevate' condition so bones would fuse quicker and vet said looking at approx 1yr-18months or longer til bones 'fused' and hopefully painfree.There were also injections and op that you can get(vet said op really extreme )
That was a good few years ago so treatment and thinking may have changed

_daisy_

Visit site
my 19 yo pony was diagnosed with this over a year ago. She was buted for a little while and returned to exercise. She has had moved of the summer off and went lame again. She has just had an injection of steriods and synthetic joint fluid into her stifle. It has helped however I now feel that helping one area has brought another problem to light.

luane1

Visit site
My 7year old has been diagnosed with one and he has had tildren been turned out for 6 months and now is on 1 bute a day and we have to work him to hopefully make it fuse. We xrayed him and his joint shows no other sign of deterioriation so we have to hope for the best. He is a show jumper and totally bored with simple work. Our vet says he should come good with time and he doesn't appear to be in any pain with the bute.

lizzie_liz

Visit site
my mare was diagnosed with it when she was 6 and was injected with steriods once then went on bute. she was turned away for the winter as she was diagnosed with navicular at the same time!!
but since then she has been sound as anything and is in work and is competing when i go home, up to novice dressage and discovery height sj

Safina

Visit site
The beast was diagnosed with a bone spavin on 6 January this year after suddenly falling extremely lame. He was nerved blocked and x-rayed so the vet could give an accurate diagnosis.

We went down the steriod injection, bute for 2 weeks, a lateral extension shoe, a magnetic hock boot, a joint supplement and daily work route and he came sound within a few days.

He went a bit lame 6 months after his first jab so the vet did another and I am expecting him to need another jab pretty soon.

The joint supplement, magnetic boot and lateral shoe seem to help keep him ticking over between steriod jabs.

BTW he a 14 year old tb and our workload/competition ability has not been affected at all - it takes him a little longer to stretch out if I work him straight from his stable thats all.

emerald2006

Visit site
i have a 12 yr old cob x who was diagnosed with it at the begining of october. i am still a bit in the dark as to what to do as she had a lot of muscular damage through her back due to over compensating. she was nerve blocked and x-rayed and put onto bute whilst we sorted her back out and was put back into work of walking in stiaght lines for 20 mins last saturday. since then have ridden her 3 or 4 times and hasnt as of yet gone lame and is off the bute. this is a lot better to what i had forseen which was not sitting o her untill at least next year. Every horse reacts differntly and you will find they do put them on bute and say work them to make the bones fuse. after that they will just go intementintly lame.

valley

Visit site
He had 2 weeks of bute which did help but is struggling now it has worn off he had adequan injections last year for a check ligament injury As long as he doesn't go down hill too much he will just graze with the rest of the gang I have bought a foal who he has taken a liking too so she might spark a bit of enthusiasum for life I do hope so. I know age and size is against him. Thank you everyone for your replies its sad to see lovely animals getting old.