Bone....

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
Afternoon,

Just measured my traditional cobs bone, I think it's about 9" maybe slightly less due to floof at back of knee and her not particularly liking me doing it, but I have no idea if this is good or bad and what it means?

She's probably just over 14.2 now and 5 years old. I think she will mature to 14.3 :)

Picture of her last winter

JS__0211.JPG

ElleSkywalker

Visit site
If you look from the side, the cannons should be flat, not rounded.

B has 8.5 of good flat bone, which I'm v pleased about.

Feels fairly flat to me. I asked her if she was a comman round boned cob and she glared at me ?

Know nothing about bone just wanted to say she’s gorgeous ?

Ah thanks! She as a tiny little head ears to nose and had to have her noseband shortened so she is actually really pretty in the flesh and has a little dished face ?

It should look wider from the side than the front, indicating a good strong tendon.

Def wider from side even discounting the floofs :D

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
ESW, I think if she's in work and muscled, then to have a heavier rider on for a steady pootle isn't going to be an issue. She's a lovely shape and has a good amount of bone but bone alone isn't what takes the weight, but fitness to do job x
Obs it would/could be damaging, if rider was over 14 stone and wanted to hoon and jump tho!

I have no idea what DSW weighs...... ?

palo1

Visit site
I believe that traditionally it was thought that 8.5 inches of bone was generally the substance needed in a riding horse (other than an Arab which may be lighter in bone but equally strong). Draft horses may have more bone of course. I had a cob (bless him, long gone) who had 9.5 inches of bone on cannon bones of only 9 inches long!! He was only 15hh but of course, quite strong...!! My pb arab has 8.5 inches of bone almost exactly but I haven't measured my Welshie. I don't imagine they will be that different tbh. :)

ElleSkywalker

Visit site
She's lovely. ? Love her black snoz.

Me too as means I don't have to try and get sun cream on it ? it does actually have a little pale bit on it but black skin underneath so doesnt burn. She has a Harry Potter lightening strike under chin as well which is extra cute :)