Bonfire Night In or Out??

Bonfire Night In or Out? What do you do?

• Total voters

Chico Mio

Antedeluvian
Visit site
Mine live out through every fiesta throughout the year and there is one somewhere around at least every weekend through the summer!

Last year they were 25m from where the main bulk of whizz bang rockets were set off - every night for three nights and through the day as well - resulting in metre long sticks raining down into their field. They got bored in the end and never even flicker these days.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Out, but if a proper display is going on (I think my local village has now stopped doing this so should only be in the distance) and my horse starts getting wound up I'll put his headcollar and just hold onto him in the yard with the other 2 veteran ponies (who couldnt care less). I find its safest just to hold onto him - if I put him in the stable he gets even more wound up. Its always a chilly night standing about outside with them checking they're ok! Haven't actually BEEN to a display for years because I have to watch them!

thatsmygirl

Visit site
Mine will be in with windows shut. But we have a display tomoz night 2 fields away. I'm crapping myself as to what the foals will think. Can't believe it's going to be so close

Ladylina83

Visit site
This is a really good question - I've just started to bring my Mare and foal in of a night time this week Monday actually and just tonight I've remembered it is Bonfire night tomorrow , now it'll be little ones 1st they are both chilled in the stable and in the field but who know what will happen my gut instint is leave them out where he'll be with the heard ? Oh what to do ???

TGM

Visit site
Normally they are out, but have a new horse this year, and I don't know how he will react yet, plus he is in a separate paddock at the moment, so could be left on his own if the others scoot off down the other end of the field, so am going to bring them all in for the night.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
We've had a big bonfire and fireworks every year at our stables for the past five years. We kept them in once, and they were really nervous. Other than that, they go out, and are not bothered at all, even with the fireworks in the next field! The first year that we had the bonfire, I asked everyone NOT to bring fireworks, and they all did. I went charging up to the other field, expecting scared horses, and I woke them up! They were asleep in the fireworks! We do have a hotel that does weddings nearby, which does fireworks at 10pm all weekend from April to October, so they have got very desensitised.

We had our bonfire last weekend. The horses are normally in at night, and out in the day. We leave them in til 3pm, so they are fed up of being in, then feed them and turn out. We changed them from light to middle weight rugs too. They were fine. We have only ever had one horse that wasn't happy in the field, but it was a very nervous horse anyway. All it did was trot round a bit for the first few fireworks, and then when it was the others weren't bothered it settled down.

pottamus

Visit site
My lad is in at night all year anyway...but I plan to get him in a bit earlier in case they start early. I know of a couple of displays very close on Friday and I know he will be fine if in his stable chomping hay.

howengold

Visit site
mine are out. There are two big displays on the opposite sides of the motorways but mine never bother with the noise. I go up during them to check and they are all plodding around munching their hay and dozing.

Doncella

Visit site
Out. I have no choice, she's been out for 5 years in this field now. She is in foal this year but the field is away from any displays and what with low flying jets and shooting on next doors land, noises and bangs are an everyday occurance round here. Plus the field is very undulating and has a copse in the middle and is bordered by high hedges so plenty of shelter and cover.

somethingorother

Visit site
The two youngsters are in, but one is on box rest anyway and it will be nice for them to both have company. The mare and filly are staying out on the hill, they won't bother. And the old mare and my share gelding will be staying out. There's a good sturdy field shelter with a bale of haylage in if they don't fancy venturing out. Fatty Face won't care as long as he's got grub. :D

pricklyflower

Visit site
Out, have tried them in once and once only and were a nightmare. Left out in the field they don't even bat an eyelid. Hoping the new one will be just as good out but will never risk it and leave them, will be there with flask of coffee and chippy chips to keep o/h happy whilst we watch them whilst the main displays are going on.

What really annoys me is displays which aren't on the 5th. You don't celebrate Christmas on 24 or 26 December, so why celebrate bonfire night?

helencharlie

Visit site
Out, Charlie is still out and his field is too far away from any displays to bother him. He is also mr chilled about them. One mare on the yard does get very distressed, but she will be out as well, better to keep her with her herd

Katkin

Visit site
Both. Those that are normally stabled come in as usual - sometimes leave a radio on in the stables to dull the noise if its a particularly quiet night as the stabled horses seem more nervy than those that can run about in the field. Those turned out 24/7 are fine even though we have lots of fireworks nearby.

bryngelenponies

www.biopharm-leeches.com
Mine are out 24/7. They are next to the local cricket club that usually has fireworks so my mare has grown up with fireworks. But besides that I go down to the field every so often during the night to check on her. She also hates being kept in so that would make her more stressed than the fireworks. Luckily she's a very laid back mare and is actually quite happy to stand in her shelter and watch them!

Starbucks

Visit site
Mine will be in... while I'm trying to plait him up... while there's a bonfire/fireworks on our yard!! Should be interesting!!

Jojo_Pea4

Visit site
My horses are in at night and all very happy watching the local fireworks.

We do have our youngster living out though, we have only had him a few weeks so stayed with him to make sure he was settle or if we needed to bring him in. He was so happy munching his hay didnt even lift his head to watch.

My dog on the otherhand is very scard.

cobgirlie

Visit site
Considering I keep my horse on an estate where they have shooting most days...I doubt the odd firework will cause much distress to any of them!! ;) So as normal all the out will be out and the in will be in.

4leggedfurries

Sunny Somerset - surrounded by bare scorched field
Visit site
Mine are already in over night so will carry on bringing them in. The two little ones arent fussed, they stand there and watch, but the big one will have the top stable door shut as he doesnt like them. He can still see the little ones though as there is an internal window between the two stables. The lights will be on and if necessay a radio too. I will be sitting on the yard with the hose poised as next door are having a small display in thier field tonight and there will be a bigger display for the village in the field behind next door on saturday. We've already had fireworks for the last few nights but thankfully on the other side of the village so hasnt been too stressful for them so far.