Bonfire Night - or week as it is round us....

Heidi1

Visit site
Not sure if this has been posted, but what to you chaps do with your horses over Bonfire Weekend. Neighbours to the livery yard I am at are having a party on the Saturday, which they have kindly told us about (1st time in four years), the thing is I am not sure what to do with my horses, they were out last year because the year before they kept firing the fireworks straight over the top of the stables and it upset everything that was in
crazy.gif
............ but looking at the weather forecast it is going to be cold, so what do you chaps do with your horses that are normally stabled at night...
confused.gif

KatB

Visit site
Mine will be in and doped, as he got colicky last year. But then I wouldnt leave him in the field as there are too many little thugs around that could get access to them when out!! I used to leave my cob out, as the field was hidden, and least they can run away, or watch if they need to unrestricted.

I think it just depends on yard/field location...
confused.gif

riotgirl

Visit site
My Welshie is actually better in her stable as it is her 'safe' place that she feels secure in. I make sure she has extra hay rations to keep her occupied and then just let her get on with it. I did go down and check on her but this just bothered her. She is tense for about 5 minutes and then is fine. If she goes out in the field she works herself into such a state. My old girl on the other hand, is deaf so totally unconcerned by the whole thing!

SSM

Visit site
I was thinking of leaving the lights on and the radio on with music (maybe soothing like Saga
crazy.gif
) and then when dies down going back up to tuck them in - there is a major display about 1/2 mile as the crow flies.

Last year SS was out, and the neighbours used our field to fire their rockets into - picked up 12 from the field - we were fuming - luckily non of them were hurt

Heidi1

Visit site
How inconsiderate, good job non of them were hurt, bless.....

I was thinking about turning the radio up and leaving them in. But they are in a covered block, so they would just hear the bang and not be able to see anything, so if the radio doesn't drown it out they might freak..... Oh decisions decisions........

Tempi

Visit site
both mine will be in and il just pray nothing happens, bloss is always fine, i havent a clue what Archie will do tbh.........il probably give him some sedeeze to try and take the edge off him - but im seeing my vet tonight so im going to ask her what she thinks then.

Woody&Rockie

Visit site
What do you dope you horse with - I usually use Sedalin but the only prob with that is I cannot top up very easliy - Our neighbours are having a display too! I have spoken to the vet and they have sugested Valium tablets... Never tried that before but worth a try I guess...

RachelB

Visit site
Mine has to be in, and the village fireworks are 2 minutes from us (over the hill). I don't know how she'll react, either she won't bat an eyelid or she'll go mental I reckon. I'm going to put her to bed with a mountain of hay and leave the light on, and spend the evening sat on the mounting block in the yard with a supply of coffee and so kalm paste! If she's fine then good, but if not I do have the option of putting her in a stable with a top door so she can be completely shut in.
I hate bonfire night!!!

KatB

Visit site
Nothing strong, just a herbal thing. Use NAF tempralex just to take the edge off him, and quieten him down. I dont like making them too far gone, as can upset them even more. I use it to relax him more than anything. Valium sounds interesting.....
wink.gif

jinglejoys

Visit site
My lot will be exactly where they are every night out in the field if they want.
I don't worry,they don't worry.
I never know what night they are going to let fireworks off round here and with Countrywide Stores selling off boxes of the darn things all year round I don't see much point in panicking over bonfire month
wink.gif