Bonfire Night - What are your plans?

Blackhawk

sublimedesigns.moonfruit.com
Ok, so it isn't for a few weeks yet but I'm getting very stressed as fireworks will be let off yards from my horses most of the night. (It's in the field next to ours, and something the whole villiage attends)

What are you doing with your horses?

Tia

Visit site
Nothing. Horses will, and always have, stayed outside in their OWN fields where they are familiar. Never had any incidents. I would never put a horse in a stable where there may be fireworks being let off.

SummerStorm

Visit site
I leave mine out in his usual field and leave him to it... he got a bit a nervy about them last year when I led him down the field so I started saying 'bang' everytime I led him and the fireworks were going off - first off quietly and then getting louder until he associated the 'bang' with me and switched off to the real firework bangs completely.

Yes, I'm well aware that I now sound like a plonker
blush.gif
but hey, it did work!
blush.gif
grin.gif

ihatework

Visit site
Mine will come in on the evening of the local display as last year a number of fireworks ended up in the fields, they might well be turned out once the display has finished around 10/11pm ish

moon_drop

Visit site
They will come in as normal about four o clock . Then when it starts to get dark i'm going back down to sit with them as the shetland ewan gets really scared goes off his food and gets really upset with his self. will close all windows but not top doors as we don't have any. the lights will be on as long as I'm thier. One of the other liverys Zar loves the fireworks he stands with his head out his stable door all night watching.

Blackhawk

(Quick Reply)

See I've been told that I could move them to another yard but I just thought that was daft. (no offense to anyone moving their horses)

Ok so the fireworks will be yards away from them, but they are very close to one another, very happy and comfortable where they are and to be honest moving them somewhere new would cause them to stress out more.

Having them in I'd worry about them hurting themselves in the stable, especially J as he bashes his head against the wall when stressed.

They do however come in at night normally.

I don't know if I will be with them either as that's when my Dads operation is.

Sorry that was such a LONG post!!

Blackhawk

[ QUOTE ]
Benj is staying out in his feild, he only gets upsets because he can't see the pretty lights!
He LOVES to watch them!
P x

[/ QUOTE ]

Aw bless, what a good boy
grin.gif

I have a feeling J will be like that but Hurry will end up charging around as he's used to being stabled most of the day.

Nic

Visit site
Tucked up in bed with plenty of hay, we get some landing in our field so keep them in. But they are in at night normally anyway.

Sparklet

Visit site
Will bring in early and play the radio loud - they will be fine. Worse bit is the stagglers who let them off several days/weeks later usually when you are trying to perfect a complex dressage movement and already have a wound up horse
shocked.gif

Happytohack

Visit site
The fireworks usually start round here about a week before bonfire night and keep going for a week or so afterwards. Horses will come in as normal. Have a new girl this year and hope she will be fine, the other 3 usually have their heads over their doors watching. Thought I would watch with them this year!

katelarge

Visit site
Mine will be in at night along with the rest of the yard so will hopefully be OK. I have sedated him once before when there was a very big display very close to his old yard. Popped him half a tube of sedalin and off he went to happy valley.

At his new yard he is generally happier and more relxed than ever before, and when I moved him there I did ask about bonfire night, but there are no displays nearby as it's very horsey. However if that does change I'll just do the sedalin again and leave him to it.

Chambon

www.picturetrail.com
Mine all stay out and always have done. I think horses get stressed by it if they are stabled but out in the field they tend to ignore it - well, my lot do anyway - they don't want to waste any grazing time!
smile.gif

Theresa_F

Visit site
Mine will be in at night as usual. That said, they are laid back and don't seem bothered about large bangs etc.

Remembered one year I left my TB tied up outside the stable and went to chat to YO. Came back to find her still there quite happy with fireworks going off overhead. I was a bit freaked seeing her there like that, but she didn't give a damm.

I seem to have been lucky with my horses in that they don't get upset at firework night.

sorona

Visit site
I will be having a party at the yard, in the field next to mine which is at the brow of the hill as it has the best view of a huge fireworks display so we can watch for free. I am not at all concerned about my horses as they've watched the display for the past 2 years and it didnt bother them at all although it is really close but the horses in the 'party' field havent. We have a BBQ there every year anyway but can keep an eye on allt he horses anyway!

RachelB

Visit site
I don't know what my horse is like with fireworks yet, she's either not going to care a jot or she's going to make every attempt to escape and trash the place...
All ours are in overnight anyway, I'll give her plenty of hay and leave the light on, and as soon as I get back from Your Horse I'll be sat on the mounting block until it finishes or until she's calm. My last pony hated being stabled, she almost broke the stable door when we tried that one year (she usually lived out but the village fireworks are held actually IN her field, so we moved her over the way). And my first pony hated being in because she couldn't watch! It's funny how they're all different!

MagicMelon

Visit site
Plan to put my 2 big horses in their stables overnight as one is nervy and has gone through the odd fence.... and the other one just rattles everyone else up (just for fun!). The other 3 will just have to stay outside the stables, but Ill give them loads of hay to keep them amused. I'll likely stay out with them while the big village fireworks go off.

dieseldog

Visit site
Our stables are in the middle of an estate and I'm surprised the 'displays' haven't started already. Anyway, none of them give a monkeys. Horse I had before used to love watching them, but he also liked hot air balloons.

burtie

Visit site
Herbie doesn't mind fireworks one bit as he grew up next to a railway line (electric). But he did met pigs for the first time yesterday and I found him watching them in the field, snorting, covered in sweat and shaking in his box!!

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Mine is in from about 4pm now anyway but he loves the fireworks. He rests his head on the stable wall (he's in the end box of a barn) and watches them for hours. That being said, as someone above said, he's got a fascination for hot air balloons also. (Chatsworth hot air balloon race is his favourite day of the year since they pass over him
tongue.gif
)

He has a bit of a thing for very whispy white clouds in summer as well.

My trainer and family are on site so they keep an eye on the horses all night but we've not had any problems so far with them.