Bonkers black pony has a diagnosis...mostly

BBP

Visit site
Muscle biopsy shows he has mild chronic recurrent exertional rhabdomyolysis (RER). Fits his scatty personality better than PSSM and at least now I know there is no point putting him back on ALCAR or high fat, I also don't need to panic too much about him being on grass. But it does mean there isn't much I can change to improve things for him.

The vet said it is mild and it may not account for all of his behaviour (teeth grinding, yawning, ear pinning and reluctant to go forwards schooling, extreme high alertness/spookiness) so I have a couple of options:

1) scope for ulcers (he has a very ulcer friendly diet, never without fibre, low sugar low starch, he gets slippery elm, aloe, liquorice, fennel and peppermint which are meant to be good for tummies, he isn't girthy, very good condition) at around £300 plus treatment.

2) remedicate his sacroiliac - this is being considered purely because for the time after his last lot of injections in feb he was PERFECT. All spooky hyper behaviour calmed, his eyes were bright and shiny and he seemed the happiest I've ever seen him. He is sound but perhaps there is some residual discomfort left.

He is not insured and the biopsy was a lot more expensive than I had expected. I'm not sure what to do yet/first.

Bernster

Visit site
Blurk, sounds like you've had a horrid time of it but at least you are getting some answers. I've never heard of that condition, what's the prognosis? Someone I know put her horse on gastroguard without a scope to see if he improved (which he did) which did suggest ulcers, although I understand it's not cheap. If remedicating is fairly cheap, I'd be inclined to try that personally, together with ongoing physio and strengthening work, which I suspect you're doing anyway. Hope things improve for you and for a less bonkers pony from now on !

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Glad you have a diagnosis.

He doesn't have to loose condition to have ulcers. Friends cob didn't.
Could be pain from his sacroiliac causing ulcers.

BBP

Visit site
I'm still trying to learn a bit more about it, I'd spent a lot of time reading up about PSSM (which is a different muscle myopathy) expecting it to be that. I think essentially the horse has a fault in the process that contracts and relaxes muscle. Calcium is responsible for contraction and magnesium for relaxation, he can't regulate the release of calcium properly so he is permanently in a state of muscle tension. In racehorses and other horses it's a cause of tying up. Mine has not tied up yet but if managed wrongly I think he could.

It's a management issue essentially. You can give a medication called dantroline before riding which I 'think' limits how much calcium is exchanged. You are meant to keep them on low sugar low starch to maintain blood sugar levels and prevent spikes, keep them as calm as possible so keep to a routine, limit stress, exercise 7 days a week consistently, as much turnout as possible. But keeping an excitable horse stress free is hard when his mission in life is to find monsters in every corner! I have a lot to learn and a big challenge to keep him worked 7 days a week through the winter...I need to get him happy in his work.

BethanT

Visit site
Have you thought about massage? A friend of mine who is a qualified therapist has had a lot of success with horses with sacro problems and massage. Might be worth a try? Though make sure you find one with credible qualifications and not someone who does a "fluffy rub" so to speak. Any reputable therapist will also seek vets permission to treat as well so make sure they do so.

Michen

Visit site
OP I have two or maybe three syringes of Gastroguard sitting in my tack room. It obviously wouldn't be enough to treat if he did have ulcers but some horses respond really quickly and it might give you enough of an indication as to whether it is a problem or not.

Just drop me a PM if you want them they are yours and I'll pop them in the post. Petplan paid for them anyway! X

Brightbay

Visit site
Treat anything that may be causing pain - so SI. I am now coming to the conclusion that ulcers and digestive issues associated with ulceration follow pain, as I seem to have seen a string of horses who are treated for ulcers and only afterwards are quite clear physical issues that most likely preceded the development of the ulcers identified. If there is still something that's causing chronic pain or discomfort, the ulcers will keep coming back.

BBP

Visit site
Thank you. I think I am edging towards getting the SI injected again, just because it made such a dramatic difference last time. I will chat to the vet once my head is clearer. I was really hoping it was okay as I can't do straight line rehab in the winter, ideally we would play fun schooling games mon-fri and hack at the weekend. I'd be tempted to turn him away for the winter but both RER and sacroiliac don't allow for that, plus my fields are too small and muddy, he needs the work for his mind as well as his body. But I will have to do the best I can to keep things interesting!

gunnergundog

Visit site
Have you thought about massage? A friend of mine who is a qualified therapist has had a lot of success with horses with sacro problems and massage. .

Yes, that's as may be but this horse also has exertional rhabdomyolysis, which is contra-indicated for massage.

BBP

Visit site
OP I have two or maybe three syringes of Gastroguard sitting in my tack room. It obviously wouldn't be enough to treat if he did have ulcers but some horses respond really quickly and it might give you enough of an indication as to whether it is a problem or not.

Just drop me a PM if you want them they are yours and I'll pop them in the post. Petplan paid for them anyway! X

Hi Michen, I have tried to pm you but can't (issues with iPhone and work laptop) please could you try to send me one and hopefully it will then let me reply. Thanks!

Pigeon

Visit site
With my boy who had ulcers, I used Equishure, and literally coated his feed in it before and after riding (giving a small feed before riding can help ulcer prone horses) and noticed an improvement in attitude within a couple of days. It doesn't cure ulcers and it was too expensive for me to supplement it long term, but it did convince me to get him scoped...

BethanT

Visit site
Isn't ProCell (or something) good for horses prone to tying up I'm sure that's what a friend uses on hers who is prone to it.

BBP

Visit site
Ah I see, I am not informed on the diagnosis. I will go and have a read up now.
Don't worry, I didn't either, I have a lot to learn! He doesn't tie up (yet!) but he does suffer chronic muscle soreness. I picture it being like if you've worked out hard in the gym and everything hurts the day after because the muscles are a bit damaged, only his probably feel like that all the time.

BBP

Visit site
Just a quick update to this thread. I had him scoped on Friday and he has glandular ulcers near the pylorus. I'm glad my vet persuaded me to scope him as I really hadn't wanted to. At least now I have something I can do something about. Feeling quietly hopeful!

BBP

Visit site
I hope so! He cramped up last weekend for the first time when we introduced a new foal and he got massively over excited, then hugely aggressive so I think he makes himself quite poorly. Really hoping I can get my happy horse back!