Bonnie's First Show Report!!!!

bandit

Visit site
Sorry – this turned into rather a long / rambling post – hope you enjoy it though ! 

Morning guys – hope all is well in the HHO world!!!!!!

I took my new horse to her first show yesterday – an Eventers Challenge at Longreach events in Surrey… Basically, a dressage test, and then a combination of 6 show jumps, 9 cross country fences and then another 6 show jumps… Here’s how we got on…

Well, warmed up and she was just so excited and not listening to me at all, so tried to relax her and friend thankfully was on hand to give out advise as we did warm up…. Finally she was listening to me a bit and we went in for the test – we did an OK test and I was quite pleased with how it went although marked difference in how she goes on each rein – left rein not as strong in canter.. back to lorry to change tack etc and she was so calm, just stood there whilst she was booted up etc,. Watched a few go round the jumping phase and it seemed a few fences were catching people out – esp the chase fence out of the arena and into the woods. She warmed up well for jumping, although one skid into the bottom of the upright – quick turnaround and she was OK after that… Into the arena and she spooked at the massive tree stump and so I growled at her and she got past it – little devil!!! Anyway – we jumped the first 6 fences and she went really well, then the chase fence into the woods – I reverted to hunting style with reins in one hand and whip behind but she was so bold. Every now and then, she got a tap of the whip on her shoulder – more to say ‘it’s ok – I’m with you’…. However the dog kennel caused the most problems, it was a v skinny and offset to the right was the kennel for the next class, however Bonnie shied away and ran left, got her back, but we were at a v slow trot and she was still spooking slightly – she was at a point where I could have stopped and turned her around and come back, or I just keep asking her to go forward – thought I’d best keep going so she learns not to stop and bless her little cottons, she scrabbled over the kennels like a dog… so proud! Then back into the arena – did the scary corner fence and coming to the 2nd from home, she just got a touch too close and knocked it with her knees….

So – all in all, a really successful day – Dressage was 43.2, and just 4 jumping faults. We incurred time penalties but I wasn’t bothered as the ground was slippy and I didn’t want to go too fast anyway… ended on a score of 66.2 for our first event (15th out of 38 starters). Dead chuffed!!

Sorry for the ramble and pics on Gallery v soon.

Bx

miamibear

Visit site
Thats a really good result for your first one - well done you and bonnie!
grin.gif