Book recommendations and advice please

Halfpass

Visit site
As i'm sure you all know I have just bought a 2 1/2 year old mare (picking her up next wednesday) and I'm looking for a book that will help guide me through her basic training. Can anyone reccomeend a good one to me?
Also i'm planning on picking her up wednesday morning and then when I get her home I plan to just spend some time with her. Not teaching her anything but a little grooming and maybe a walk out. I will then keep her in over night. YM has said I can put her in a paddock on her own for a couple of days so that I can make sure I can catch her then I plan to put her out with one horse at a time (there are only 4 other mares and all owners are ok with this) until she gets to know them. Does this sound OK or should I just bite the bullet and put her straight out with all of them?
I'm so excited but at the same time so concerned that I'm not going to do the right things for her. I'm aware she is very young and don't want any bad habits that I have got into to rub off on her!!!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Not sure what others may feel about this - but I would want her out with one other quiet horse straight away.

Youngsters have a nasty habit of either going through fences or jumping out when on their own.

Not sure if that's an option for you - but certainly the way I would go.

Halfpass

Visit site
I see your point. There is another mare who will be put out / brought in with mine so it may be wise to put them out together in the smaller paddock first. You see if I hadn't of asked she'd be out on her own jumping 5ft fences and i'd be having a nervous breakdown. Thanks
grin.gif

Iestyn

Visit site
I have a book written by Reine Klimke - Training the Young Horse (or something like that). It takes you through from early handling to riding away and more advanced schooling.

However, don't rely on a book - get a decent instructor who has experience in bringing on youngsters and never be too proud to ask for help! I'm glad I did!
laugh.gif

spider

community.webshots.com
The ABC of breaking and schooling horses by josephine Knowles. Was lucky enough to pick it up at a car boot sale and have used it loads even though my boy was 4 when I got him.