Boots.. do you use them?

Mule

Visit site
I tend not to use boots as I mainly hunt and every time I do use them I seem to get a rub or injury. The worst injury I've ever had to a horse was when a hind brushing boot got caught in wire at a hunt rail and ended up degloving the leg so although I think it could be sensible for xc I don't use them.
Christ :oops:

ponynutz

Visit site
front brushing and over-reach always (altho we have hi-vis ones for hacking 😂) and back brushing also if jumping or going XC. When at a show tho she wears tendon and fetlock for being smart's sake

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
Front brushing boots for flatwork, lunging & hacking.

For fast work brushing boots on back legs too if ground is even a bit firm.

Tendon boots for jumping.

whizzer

Visit site
Always boot up all round. My previous horse tripped badly in walk,he sliced straight through one of his front boots with back hoof,dread to think what he would’ve done to his leg if he hadn’t had a boot on. He also managed to stand on his bit!!! Such was the force of the trip & subsequent fall he stood on the shank of a NS Pelham,bent it & wrenched it completely off on one side so it detached & fell out of his mouth!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Thanks all.. regarding boots. I just want a boot I can use for cross country, show jumping and faster work.
https://www.horsehealth.co.uk/equipment/boots-bandages/work-boots/pro-sport-mesh-brushing-boot-black

I would not chose thise as they provide strike protection for the opposite leg but not much protection from the back legs striking into the tendons.

I have bought these for mine at the front...

https://www.horsehealth.co.uk/horse...x-snug-boots/lemieux-snug-boot-pro-black-pair

Nice amount of protection, mesh for ventilation and good coverage.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
I would not chose thise as they provide strike protection for the opposite leg but not much protection from the back legs striking into the tendons.

I have bought these for mine at the front...

https://www.horsehealth.co.uk/horse...x-snug-boots/lemieux-snug-boot-pro-black-pair

Nice amount of protection, mesh for ventilation and good coverage.

LOL! I went into my tack room last night and discovered I have 3 sets of boots, 2 brand new pairs of the Tri-zone all sport boots and a front set of Le Mieux Stealth cross country boots that look barely ever used. The worst thing is I can't even remember buying them.. and the Tri-zones haven't been used, can only assume I bought them, moved yards and forgot about them. Oops!

Nice surprise to myself.

https://www.equilibriumproducts.com/product/tri-zone-all-sports-boots/

Lyle

Visit site
Brushing boots mostly. Neoprene for really mucky/wet, and a beautiful set of felt with leather strike pads for when it's warm. In the boiling hot I tend to go for nothing except bells (although I tend to just be going for a mooch around in the shade when it's hot!) I do have proper XC boots for XC schooling too.

scats

Visit site
I use training wraps for schooling, LeMieux schooling boots for polework as they have a bit more protection and brushing boots for hacking or fast work.
I always lunge in brushing boots too.
Millie does a fair bit of lateral work and she’s also prone to being quite spooky, I like to know her legs are protected in cases of spaghetti leg spooks!

JFTDWS

Visit site
I did tend to bandage when doing a lot of lateral work (or for polocrosse type stupidity). For stick and balling I tended to use front boots in case I caught a leg with a racquet. I tend to boot fronts (tendons, hard shell) if jumping, though haven't one so recently as jumping small on young(ish) horse. However, we got caught up the other day and took some hair / skin off a hind, so am thinking I need to be more careful going forward!

Sealine

Visit site
Hacking/Hunting/Fun rides - No boots
Hunter Trial/XC - XC boots and overreach boots
Flatwork/lunging - brushing boots
SJ - brushing boots and overreach boots
Travelling - Travel boots
Turn out - No boots

Merrymoles

Visit site
Sorry - heavily feathered, barefoot cob so boots not really necessary. I've even given up with travel boots in the trailer as they always slip down his back legs. I have known him overreach the odd time but all that does is cut a bit of feather off...

Templebar

Visit site
Sorry late to the party, but i had a question for those who hunt and jump out hunting. Do you then put on boots or if not is there a certain level jumping where you won't worry?

I hunt and don't boot and we jump quite a lot of big ish timber fences mostly. I would not bother putting on boots jumping (eventing) until i really get to and above 100cm or maybe SJ if we were doing gymnastic exercises. I'm starting to think about boots now and as my horse is likely to struggle making the time i'm wondering if i am going to make the problem worse by adding boots so i'm thinking of light weight options potentially.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Sorry late to the party, but i had a question for those who hunt and jump out hunting. Do you then put on boots or if not is there a certain level jumping where you won't worry?

I hunt and don't boot and we jump quite a lot of big ish timber fences mostly. I would not bother putting on boots jumping (eventing) until i really get to and above 100cm or maybe SJ if we were doing gymnastic exercises. I'm starting to think about boots now and as my horse is likely to struggle making the time i'm wondering if i am going to make the problem worse by adding boots so i'm thinking of light weight options potentially.

I would never boot to hunt, they would be on to long and potentially cause the leg to over heat. Its a bit different for a hour cross country session or jumping, but hunting you can be out anything up to 8 hours. I have started booting for jumping or cross country, but wouldn't boot for funrides or hunting just over reach boots.