Boots.. do you use them?

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
As the title really.

I have never used boots on any of mine, even when hunter trialing etc. Don't kill me! I red far to much research regarding over heating of the legs so was always dead set against it.

A friend recently went to a vet talk where the vets said some of the worst injuries they come across are hind legs hitting the front over a fence, taking out everything in the front leg, tendons etc, a catastrophic injury with one option. Not always jumping, but boots can help avoid this.

I used a friends boots on the weekend cross country training (as she convinced me) and can't say his legs got hot at all but they did slip down a lot. I did notice a horse in our lesson that had a lovely set of XC boots on, jumped in such a way he knocked his front leg on a angle hard into the corner of a fence, thankfully the boot took the brunt of it and his leg left unmarked.

Its made me wonder if I should buy a set for cross country and jumping.

ihatework

Visit site
Jumping and cantering a pair of front tendon boots as a very bare minimum, always.
Often hack or flat school with naked legs though

Carrottom

Visit site
I always use front boots for fast work and jumping, the risk of a serious strike injury is reduced, like ihw they tend to do normal hacking and schooling without boots unless they are prone to brushing when they would be booted.
I agree with this. Main reason being they would rarely be on for more than 40 minutes and the legs can be cold hosed afterwards.

Hallo2012

Visit site
always.

even when *just* doing flatwork there is a good chance of a youngster losing balance and striking them self, and equally and older horse doing more complex work may also make a mistake.

a tiny little niggly over reach or scuff can all too easily lead to infection, cellulitis, lymphangitis etc

Fiona

Visit site
Yes, tendon boots for SJ and XC boots for XC....

Too worried about a strike injury to go without, though he is naked for hacking and flat schooling....

Fiona

BOWS28

Visit site
Always, always, always. Brushing boots and overreach boots for flatwork/hacking, tendon and fetlock boots for sj and xc boots for xc. Can't say i ever bandage. Not because i can't, just because i can't be bothered!! Although i know what damage can be done if bandaging is done incorrectly. If i'm honest, i have never had an issue with legs over heating as boots are never really on for any longer than an hour and a half at one time. I always sponge legs down with a cold, wet sponge after work out of habit anyway :) A lady down the yard has never put boots on her horse for anything and he has never majorly hurt himself so i guess it depends on the horse and preference.

NinjaPony

Visit site
I always use boots for injury reasons- I only school for 40 minutes or so at a time so I don’t worry about over heating. When I used to jump him I would always use hard shell tendon boots in front to avoid strike injuries.

sportsmansB

Visit site
Mine has a big splint in front and occasionally brushes behind, so I use fleece lined brushing boots for flatwork schooling & hacking
Tendon and fetlock for SJ
And proper XC boots all round for XC
I don't find his legs get too warm, though I am in Ireland where nothing really ever gets too warm (!)
I only use over reach boots if they have a tendency to do so, not all the time.

Denbob

Visit site
Overreach boots as a standard for all work as he is quite prone to catching himself, will use XC boots when we go and same for tendon boots when SJ.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Thanks all.. regarding boots. I just want a boot I can use for cross country, show jumping and faster work.
I do a lot of funrides but worried his legs will get hot if they're on for 2 hours?

Would something like this be ideal on the front? Then some of their cheaper brushing boots for the back.
https://www.horsehealth.co.uk/equipment/boots-bandages/work-boots/pro-sport-mesh-brushing-boot-black

I don't want to buy tons of boots, something suitable for everything really but obviously want the protection on the back of the front legs.

Last edited:

Peter7917

Visit site
No, when first being brought back into work he had over-reach boots on as was behaving like a dork. Since then has never worn anything for any jumping or fast work.

BOWS28

Visit site
If you've never really used boots and he has been fine, the ones you linked would probably do the job. Personally, i like something with either a shell or abit more structure for jumping. Only because they will be more protective. For schooling and hacking these are nice :)

Mule

Visit site
I often used them for schooling xc. I've always used them in xc comps. I occasionally use both front and back boots but he walks like a duck when wearing back boots:D It's worth putting them on for entertainment value!

Orchard14

Visit site
I always use boots (silly, sharp horses). H&H have done a few posts on boots... https://www.horseandhound.co.uk/tag/protective-horse-boots and https://www.horseandhound.co.uk/buyers-guides/best-brushing-boots-655493 for instance. I chose the cheap tri-zone ones for turnout then I don't mind if they get damaged or lost, then the Veredus E-Vento for XC and Weatherbeeta Pro Air tendon boots for SJ. I rate the Equilibrium training wraps for flatwork and hacking I can't be bothered with bandages. TBH if your horse is on a fun ride unassumingly including fast work for 2 hours they are going to get hot all over regardless of whether they are wearing boots or not.

thommackintosh

Visit site
Tendon boots for jumping and overreach boots all the time. Though my lad has quite a short back and I worry about him striking himself or tearing off his front shoes.

AFB

Visit site
Yes for jumping and fast work, the risk from heat is much less than the risk from striking in my opinion

irishdraft

Visit site
I tend not to use boots as I mainly hunt and every time I do use them I seem to get a rub or injury. The worst injury I've ever had to a horse was when a hind brushing boot got caught in wire at a hunt rail and ended up degloving the leg so although I think it could be sensible for xc I don't use them.

tashcat

Visit site
My previous pony never wore anything at home (just never felt the need!) and he had brush boots for jumps/ xc.

The new (ish) TB always wears front brush boots when worked at home and his legs always go back to lovely and cool a few minutes after finishing. He's quite gangly and sensitive so I've always felt they have purpose. He has tendon boots for sj and just got an upgraded PE air cooled boots for xc (which might be a good option if you're worried about over heating!).

Some people turn their horses out in boots so they essentially wear them all the time, which I don't personally agree with.. but when worked I think a few hours of protection is more important than the limb getting a bit heated imo!

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I don't jump at the moment but would boot up with tendon boot at least for jumping. Generally only knee boots for hacking and have LeMieux wrap thingies for lunging, polework or novel schooling (a new lateral movement to be taught or starting canter work where there is potential for legs getting in a pickle). She has front shoes on again now so I'm being more fastidious, also since I'm not faffing with hoof boots I must faff with something.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Road work in the summer we dont use anything, in the winter we have reflective brushing boots, more for the visibility than anything else. An easy schooling session is always barelegged but any sort of obstacles or cones (the equivalent of jumping for a driving pony) and I tend to boot up. shes not shod but shes a young, green pony with a tendency to worry and I dont want her banging herself about and getting a scare.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Op I have a set of the key meuix air mesh ones and don’t find my horse gets overly hot in them. It was a bit of a worry to me aswell. My horse on loan did both tendons quite badly a long time ago so something that didn’t over hear his legs was important to me. His owners booted him always so these were a good choice.
Maybe have a little look at PE, their Xc boots are in the sale.

SpringArising

Visit site
My 'horse' (14.2) has a huge over reach, so he wears O/R boots for everything + brushing boots for everything too. Takes less than 30 seconds to put on so a no brainer for me. When he was barefoot, I didn't bother though.

Steerpike

Visit site
Mine wear Picasso boots front and back for all my endurance rides, at home I use fronts on all and sometimes fetlock boots behind depending on what work I am doing.

mandyroberts

Visit site
Always as legs are too fragile and precious but use Husk to ensure they don't over heat. Depends on horse, in the past I have only used for jumping and not hacking/flatwork. I would use for any sort of jumping on every horse. No right or wrong answer

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
always
I just use light wraps for schooling, and over reach boots - Kira does loads of sideways and other advanced stuff and I just can't bear the thought that she might whack herself during a "moment". Salty was clumsy... now I know why... but she wore the same for the same reasons.

I've had horses fall over out hacking and their boots have been the thing that saved them from shredding their skin so I always put on hi vis boots then too.

I don't have anything to jump at the moment but would use tendon boots at least for SJ and some kind of event boots for XC.

There's a balance to be struck between protection and heating and I think you just have to do what sits best with you. Personally I've seen enough injuries to bare legs that could potentially have been avoided by using appropriate boots to prefer to use them.