Boots on a kids' pony... would you?

HeyMich

Visit site
Hi All, I'd like to pick the communal HHO hoof care brains please...

So, we have an awesome wee 12.2 Welsh C for the kids. My 11 yr old son has totally got the pony bug, and is happily w/t/c and doing wee jumps by himself. We've even joined the local pony club. Yeay!

The problem is, that when we go out hacking together through forestry land, the wee pony struggles on the gravel tracks. Last week when we were out, he was so sore that my son had to get off and lead him back, which wasn't the ending any of us wanted. He was tucking his rear end under and occasionally carrying his tail out and to the side. No chance I was letting him carry on like that! He's absolutely fine hacking in fields or riding in the school, as you would expect.

He's not overweight (he was when we got him, but has been in the Slimming World paddock this summer and slimmed up nicely). He's barefoot, and as far as I know, he's always been barefoot. His hooves appear to be in good condition, no cracks, chips, heat, sensitivity etc. The farrier doesn't want to shoe him, and nor do I!

Would you try booting him maybe? If so, what brands are good for wee hooves? Any other HHO wise words of wisdom?

be positive

Visit site
I cannot help with the boots as have never used them, but I would definitely get some to use if the pony is struggling that much it will be harmful to keep going as you are, the pony may become really sore and both pony and rider will lose confidence, if you can do some work on tarmac to toughen the feet up over time they may get better but you are heading towards winter when less riding and wetter feet will be against you making improvements.

I am pleased the farrier is on board, mine has the same attitude and is very happy to have them barefoot.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Yes I would boot but I think I'd also test the pony for Cushings if he hasn't already been tested. I love your farrier 😍

JillA

Visit site
Yes I would boot, before he begins napping due to not being comfortable. Speak to one of the outlets that sell them, The Saddlery Shop is one, they are all very helpful at finding the right boot for your pony. He may only need fronts as most of the weight is there

HeyMich

Visit site
Thanks All!

BP and ycbm - Yes, I love my farrier too! Between our 3 beasts, there are only 2 shod feet and 10 bare feet. And the 2 shod feet are only due to my mare being a fidgety idiot!

Kat - I'll start looking at some brands. Cavallo are highly recommended but at £50 per boot (!!), I may need to padlock them on his feet so they don't come off in some far flung hack somewhere...

ycbm - cushings... hmm... I might mention it to the vet next time they are over. No other signs/symptoms, but definitely worth doing the test, thanks.

JillA - yes, I'll contact them, thanks. If he is only part-booted, is it more common to put fronts on only? I was thinking hinds only to begin with, as that was where he appeared to be sore. See comment above - £200 for a full set is quite a lot! But a lame pony is also expensive (and heart breaking...)!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i may be wrong but i have found ththat is is the fronts that get sore and usually most are fine without hinds especially ponies. i would also test him as that doesnt sound normal to me if his fronts are ok but hinds not...if you want boots i would suggest checking e bay once you know which size you want as you may be able to pick some up cheap, i have just sold some brand new cavallos for £40 plus p & p , mine were size 4 so horse ones...

JillA

Visit site
Thanks All!

JillA - yes, I'll contact them, thanks. If he is only part-booted, is it more common to put fronts on only? I was thinking hinds only to begin with, as that was where he appeared to be sore. !

Yes, the fronts take something like 60% of the weight. Has your farrier checked his hinds, it is unusual for hinds to get sore when fronts are fine. If you want to buy on ebay, check with the usual stockists first and measure his feet (front to back and side to side) because some boots suit long and narrow and some wide and short. You could easily waste the price of a new pair buying on ebay

tda

Visit site
I use scoot boots on my barefoot mares who only hack periodically.

I would personally check for low grade laminitis, if that's okay try giving him some magnesium oxide, makes such a difference in my partly shod mare

HeyMich

Visit site
I use scoot boots on my barefoot mares who only hack periodically.

I would personally check for low grade laminitis, if that's okay try giving him some magnesium oxide, makes such a difference in my partly shod mare

Thanks. I did check for digital pulses straight away, and periodically since, but I couldn't feel any at all. I'll def try mag ox too.

Thanks everyone!

Reactions: tda

holeymoley

Visit site
Also make sure he’s not getting any sugars that he doesn’t need, that can make them footy. Lots of hidden sugars in the majority of feeds these days.

Melody Grey

Visit site
Definitely boot- my son’s 12.2hh Welsh B gets sore if we do too much roadwork and my plan is to boot him in future.

So far, in my research I have found.....

Cavallo CLB only come in microscopic sizes.

Cavallo simples (although my choice for my big welshy) are too big for the finer breed- if your section C is on the chunkier side with round feet, it could work.

Daintier styled boots cost a
Fortune but lots of 2nd hand boots can be bought on the Facebook group ‘UK used hoof boots cavellos, renegades, easycare and more for sale or exchange’ ....lots of help and advice on there too!

I hope something there is helpful?