Boots or bandanges for online dressage on a cob

McFluff

Visit site
Wonder if anyone can help. I have been doing online dressage with my cob, working towards going out to compete. Up to now, we have been competing in casual gear, but now I want to wear show kit to practice that (treating the whole experience like a show). If I do this online, and wear a jacket, then the horse must wear boots or bandages. She has never worn any, and has good sturdy legs (she is 14hh, but my medium sized boots from my TB are way to narrow). So, any ideas of how to boot her, or should I bandage. I haven't used bandages since I was very young, so that will require some help (which I can get at the yard).

thanks

catwithclaws

Visit site
woof wear do boots in size medium XW so still medium length but much wider for cobby legs, so they'd be worth a go.

I've never done online dressage but it does seem odd that the horse has to wear boots or bandages, considering under BD rules they're not allowed anything on their legs at all. What a strange rule

little_critter

Visit site
Agree with catwithclaws. Do the online dressage rules state the horse must wear boots or bandages?
Seems odd as they are prohibited from 'normal' dressage classes.
If you want to practice for a normal comp then I would go without legwear for the horse if you can.

Ahhh - just remembered (and checked online too). If you do it in show gear you have to wear legwear on the horse to prove it's not a video of a test done at a real competition. They won't judge tests that have already been judged in the flesh.

If the boots are only being used to follow the rules then I'd just get some cheepo brushing boots or wraps.

Last edited:

McFluff

Visit site
Sorry - poor explanation from me. If you wear a show jacket (which I want to for practice) then the horse must wear boots/bandages to evidence that the footage is not competition footage. She normally works without anything.

Will look at the WW boots - as a bit wider should work as the medium was the right length.

thank you both for your replies

Sprig

Visit site
You could always wear your show gear but substitute your beige jodhpurs for something more colourful and then it will be clear it was not a competition and your horse would not need boots.

rachk89

Visit site
Off topic but thanks for sharing this. I an gonna try this for my horse while he is in training to see how well we are doing. Beats travelling to places while he is young.

McFluff

Visit site
Thank you all for your replies, much appreciated. I hadn't realised you got cob boots, so off to do some shopping :)

Will only ever use them for this, so don't think it will harm her. We have done a couple of online tests in our 'casual' gear, but my trainer has suggested that we create a show atmosphere and 'compete' in full kit to prepare us for future competitions. So a few of us are going to prepare and treat it like a mini show. Gets both us (none of us compete) and our horses some practice. So far, have really enjoyed the experience of the online - the judging standards seem really high, with great (and fair) comments, so it is a really good check on progress if (like me) you have no transport. I will hire transport and go to shows in the future, but want a bit more practice first. My cob is young and only been in school work since April.

The online rules are quite specific that show jacket = boots or bandages. I had originally thought that the wrong coloured jods or gloves or saddlecloth would do, but appears not.

Elbie

Visit site
But do you need to compete in the show gear? Can you and your friends not just have the mini show without having to submit the videos and then do online entries another time in casual gear?

Just trying to save you money buying boots that won't get much use!

GemG

Visit site
If you want to do on line competition, Just buy a pair of boots, they're not dear in the grand scheme of things and I'm sure you will use them again over time.