Border Collie - Smelly Breath

Limit

Visit site
As per title. Any recommendations apart from vet scaling,( vet not too keen to do it yet). She is six years old and fed on Burns dog food.

{97702}

Visit site
Why is the vet not keen to scale the teeth? It’s a pretty straightforward procedure unless the dog has other health problems which might mean an anaesthetic is undesirable

Umbongo

Visit site
Is the vet not keen to do it because of other health considerations? Or are the teeth actually ok and doesn't warrant a general anaesthetic at the moment?

Things you can try:
Teeth cleaning with a doggy toothpaste once/twice daily (the best option). eg logic oral hygiene gel.
Plaque off
Hills T/D biscuits

Last edited:

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i found that my old dogs teeth improved when she had antlers to chew, quite a bit of the plaque has gone. might be worth trying them or bones from the butcher if vet descaling is not an option

{97702}

Visit site
Maybe it’s because I have greyhounds with terrible teeth, but I have found Logic, canine toothpastes and Plaque Off made no difference at all ☹️

Having said that, I do realise that greyhounds don’t have normal teeth!

Limit

Visit site
Thanks for all your replies, much appreciated !.
I am trying Plaque Off at the moment, but having used it for two months,it does not appear to work for Bunty.
Will have another word with my vet. The vet said not to start cleaning before really needed as it would have to be done every year if not more often. Also said teeth and gums in reasonable condition for a six year old. Bunty is in good health with no know medical conditions.