Bored baby?

Bri

Visit site
Does anyone have any suggestions of what I can do to vary horses work routine?? With all this rain school is showing a better resemblance to a swimming pool and area to ride in has been reduced to about a 30m circle.
Both horse and I are getting bored of walking and trotting in endless small circles, we can only get out at the weekend as no-one around during the week to hack with and horse refuses to lunge. At a loss as to what I can do to make things a bit more interesting for her? Any suggestions greatfully received! Thanks!

_April_

Visit site
Really don't want to open up an IH/NH debate LOL

But my YO does all these games with her horse that I think she got from Parelli dvd's. Have never tried them myself but it could be something to look into
smile.gif

Bri

Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions. She's only been broken for about 6 weeks so don't want to overface her by trying to take her out on her own. Will definitely do some pole work though and the de-sensitizing thing is a very good idea - although she tends to think she's invinicible so nothing is scary anyway!!

KatB

Visit site
Wouldnt do bareback or hacking on own until happy with company!! Long reining? Fab introduction for them having to lead.... did wanders for my boy and also good for correct muscle developement. Poles? Also a good one....

_April_

Visit site
Oh I also just thought that you could do some obstacles like in Le Trek or Handy Horse things!

Erm reining back along a long corridor inbetween poles, navigating through an S bend corridor, walking up and over a step, even Bending!
These are all fun things to do and it will work on building the bond between you.

Bri

Visit site
Was thinking about long reining, but I know from trying to lunge her she has a horrible habit of spinning really quickly. Have images of me knotted in lunge lines being dragged across the school
crazy.gif

KatB

Visit site
Hm, have someone walk with her infront whilst you rein her from behind... she will get theidea that going forwards is much easier as you can also run around to follow her back end and send her forwards! Could be difficult to start with, but I think it could help...
grin.gif