Boring, Easy Horse Wanted!!

spugs

Visit site
OP, have you considered a Standard-bred? A similar build to your ex-racer but most of them have the temperament of a driving cob, especially if they have been driven. they are not usually very expensive either;)

Standardbreds are a great breed, I have two. One I can take anywhere and ones a sensitive soul who’s afraid of his own shadow unless he’s with his field mate. They’re generally not as fine as a tb and require less feed/rugging. If they’ve been raced they’ll prob travel well and have good manners at least mine do. I agree on them being cheap as well!

exracehorse

Visit site
I’ve got my boy on long term loan. He hacked out solo the day he came off the lorry. He’s a mix of Irish draft. Irish cob and a LOT of trotter. He’s a super boy. So easy compared to my crazy warmblood 😀

whizzer

Visit site
After a few crap years with TBs & TB crosses, i bought a Connie cross this year. On paper wouldn’t have ever looked at something liked her but I was already riding her as a stop gap then her owner decided to sell. She’s amazing,hacks,jumps,works nicely on the flat,cheap to run & easy to do,& a lovely character so I overlooked the fact she was the wrong sex,the wrong colour & a hand smaller than I wanted😂. Plus the Chiropractor said recently that she was the soundest horse she’d seen for 3 months. Hopefully my run of bad luck is finally over....

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Standardbreds are a great breed, I have two. One I can take anywhere and ones a sensitive soul who’s afraid of his own shadow unless he’s with his field mate. They’re generally not as fine as a tb and require less feed/rugging. If they’ve been raced they’ll prob travel well and have good manners at least mine do. I agree on them being cheap as well!

At the SB stud near me, the whole lot; mares, youngstock and stallions live out 24/7 with very little natural shelter all year round and do very well, with not a rug in sight, they do have access to a lot of unimproved grazing and big bale haylage.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Out of interest, how did it deteriorate? (if you don't mind me asking) Did it start tying up more or did something else break?

I'm not 100% sure to be honest as I didnt want to seem nosey and its a sad situtation. Shes someone I know rather than a good friend. The impression I get is that he just couldnt cope and was increasingly stiff and unhappy and lots of things were triggering him. I know lots of things have been tried and nothing has really seemed to work this time. Very sad all round and a bit of an eye opener for me.

sjp1

Visit site
So was tempted to buy an Irish Draught from Ireland- was prepared to fly over and look at it - luckily a friend of a friend has an amazing eye for not quite right right - this was arising 3 year old unbroken. Am going for a second viewing in a cobby type horse - not happy being touched groomed or clipped but a good safe horse to be ridden and a friend who works at a racing yard locally has contacted me about a horse there who has raced twice who really isn’t interested so hopefully will see him tomorrow. Having a small budget isn’t great but I am not sure even if I had a bigger budget it would be a lot easier!! A lot of trying seems to be key!!

SEL

Visit site
I'm not 100% sure to be honest as I didnt want to seem nosey and its a sad situtation. Shes someone I know rather than a good friend. The impression I get is that he just couldnt cope and was increasingly stiff and unhappy and lots of things were triggering him. I know lots of things have been tried and nothing has really seemed to work this time. Very sad all round and a bit of an eye opener for me.
Having more bad days then good with my PSSM Appy. I just don't think you can tell how symptomatic they'll be or even what causes episodes. It's very, very sad.

In addition to the emotional stress it's the day to say hard work. She must have soaked hay, asuch turnout as pos but restricted grazing - which limits livery yard options.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
I wouldn't worry about bred or type, Id' just go for temperament. i was very clear what I wanted and just could not find it, sound anyhow. In the end I threw my list out the window and went solely on temperament. So far so good. I just couldn't be bothered with silliness anymore, I'm too old and have too little time. The result was Brian and so far so good. He is so not my type and his lip droops but he hacked past a combine, a 100yards away, in full flow. That's what I needed and I would have paid more but luckily he was a fair price too.

Shady

Visit site
I wouldn't worry about bred or type, Id' just go for temperament. i was very clear what I wanted and just could not find it, sound anyhow. In the end I threw my list out the window and went solely on temperament. So far so good. I just couldn't be bothered with silliness anymore, I'm too old and have too little time. The result was Brian and so far so good. He is so not my type and his lip droops but he hacked past a combine, a 100yards away, in full flow. That's what I needed and I would have paid more but luckily he was a fair price too.
I agree. Iv'e got an Arab for gods sake! , nobody ever recommends them on here but he is the loveliest , safest horse you could ever have. Tough too and so much fun!

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I agree. Iv'e got an Arab for gods sake! , nobody ever recommends them on here but he is the loveliest , safest horse you could ever have. Tough too and so much fun!

For my money I don't think anyone has ever really bettered the Arab as a hacking horse. You get really useful hacking types in all breeds of course, but in terms of a whole breed, Arabs set a very high bar....IMO anyway ;)

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site

Sorry, didn't see this before. Yes I can understand that you just wouldn't ask the details in that situation. Sorry for asking, just interested in terms of thinking about my lad....he's fit as a fiddle and loving life and work right now, but will only be 10 next year, so time will tell I guess, horses eh.

Shady

Visit site
For my money I don't think anyone has ever really bettered the Arab as a hacking horse. You get really useful hacking types in all breeds of course, but in terms of a whole breed, Arabs set a very high bar....IMO anyway ;)
They doooooooooo!!! love mine to bits:)
My friend has a beauty possibly for sale, sod all money too, has lived out since a foal, endurance parents , lovely, lovely boy but not backed due to her personal circumstances. He's 5 i think. He would make the most amazing hardy horse if somebody was willing to come and get him!!!!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
It all depends on what type of horse you "get", or gets you, I suppose. I am a Spanish horse person 100%, and I also love Arabs, but I really don't have time for most Irish Draughts. I like TB's, but wouldn't have one, only ride WB's if you pay me to, will try anything with spots, love the right sort of honest cob, etc., etc. There are always exceptions of course.

SEL

Visit site
Sorry, didn't see this before. Yes I can understand that you just wouldn't ask the details in that situation. Sorry for asking, just interested in terms of thinking about my lad....he's fit as a fiddle and loving life and work right now, but will only be 10 next year, so time will tell I guess, horses eh.
We had another PSSM horse come to the yard mine was at over the summer and it made me realise that mine struggles more than perhaps others do. Its a shame because she really, really wants to work and tries hard. She does seem to be getting worse despite me being told this isn't supposed to degenerative.

Leo Walker

Visit site

Dont be silly. I'm sorry for not having more details. Drives me mad when people post with half the facts, which I have just done. Oops!

Mari

Visit site
I’m piggy backing on this post. I’m a small lightweight OAP & not interested in hacking - far too dangerous where I live. I do box up & go off road when I can. I’m looking for a kind calm 13,2 to do all sorts of local training clinics & competitions. My interest is flatwork. What breed/xbreed would people recommend?

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Mari, I knew someone like you who got an ex show pony (registered British Riding pony). He schooled nicely, was sweet, polite, easy to travel and had seen it all before so didn't get excited on trips away from home. He was just a total poppet for his older rider (plus he was short so she could mount from the ground).

He was similar sounding to this, although his specialty had been ridden showing. https://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/...link=/search?keyword=show+pony&sectionId=2188

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
My last horse was an ID.

Only five when I lost him. A birth defect in his spine. We didn't get to do a lot, and elect he was the sweetest most loving of characters he definitely wasn't the bravest. When doing the in-hand walking around the yard he'd look to me for confidence. Once he was happy that I was happy with the 'scary stuff' then he was fine.

Out of all our horses the most chilled, from a not being scared hacking POV, was the Dutch Warmblood (though she was as batty as a box of frogs in other respects) and the native-of-some-sort pony (who could do a good rodeo impression and taught D1 an awful lot about staying on!).