Boswellia v Devils claw? Slightly dim question alert...

EquestrianE01

Visit site
Sorry, this is going to be short and snappy as I'm in a rush but do need an answer to this. So apologies in advance.

Does boswellia have similar properties to devils claw?
My normal feed order has come in with boswellia rather than my normal devils claw. I normally feed the devils claw to my Mum's sweet itch pony to help with fly bites. Would the boswellia have a similar effect on these as the devils claw?

TIA

EquestrianE01

Visit site
Boswellia is used for arthritis and sore joints, but then I thought devil's claw did the same I have never heard of it being used for sweet itch before.

Thank you, yes that's what I'd heard too.
Wish I'd had more time to explain in my original post; as well as suffering very badly with sweet itch this little pony doesn't cope well with horse flies either. A couple of years ago someone also told me that Devil's Claw helped to reduce swelling and inflammation in horse fly bites. I tried it briefly on one of my horses who used to get terrible fly bites on her saddle area and they disappeared for the time she was on it. It's what I've used for any of mine that aren't competing since and it does seem to help the little one with his itchiness.
A bit like you, I'd heard of it for other properties but not this. It does work though; we ran out of the Devil's Claw about a week ago and Dude has already started rubbing his tail raw (he does wear a fly rug I should add!). Here's hoping the Boswellia helps him too ?

ETA: if anyone sciency can tell me why it helps his itching, I would really appreciate it

Last edited:

be positive

Visit site
They both have anti inflammatory properties so in theory could reduce the reaction to any bites, it is actually a good idea that I may suggest to my livery whose pony has it mildly, so far nothing given orally has helped, or he has refused to eat it, and the best treatment has proved to be benzyl benzoate applied generously to mane, tail, under the belly and backs of legs and a good SI rug.

EquestrianE01

Visit site
They both have anti inflammatory properties so in theory could reduce the reaction to any bites, it is actually a good idea that I may suggest to my livery whose pony has it mildly, so far nothing given orally has helped, or he has refused to eat it, and the best treatment has proved to be benzyl benzoate applied generously to mane, tail, under the belly and backs of legs and a good SI rug.

I would highly recommend giving it a try. My vet has been impressed with it so far. She was concerned as he got it so young at 3, but it has kept it under control for the time being.

Do you think with that logic then that the Boswellia will have a similar effect to the DC?

MuffettMischief

Visit site
I would highly recommend giving it a try. My vet has been impressed with it so far. She was concerned as he got it so young at 3, but it has kept it under control for the time being.

Do you think with that logic then that the Boswellia will have a similar effect to the DC?

In theory yes as both anti inflammatory

be positive

Visit site

It may well do, I have my old boy on boswellia for his joints and have seen a remarkable improvement since he started on it last Sept he has come out of this winter looking fab, I will suggest we give something a try for the pony, it will be getting him to eat it that may be an issue he is the fussiest native I have ever known.

EquestrianE01

Visit site
In theory yes as both anti inflammatory

Okay great! Will keep everyone posted with how it goes

It may well do, I have my old boy on boswellia for his joints and have seen a remarkable improvement since he started on it last Sept he has come out of this winter looking fab, I will suggest we give something a try for the pony, it will be getting him to eat it that may be an issue he is the fussiest native I have ever known.

I'd love to hear how it goes if you do try it. Luckily mine's a greedy git and will eat absolutely ?‍♀️?everything