Both of my mares twinned!

Deli

Visit site
Both inseminated 2 weeks ago and both twinned.

Both of them had smaller twin squeezed this morning.

Fingers crossed all goes okay.

Spring Feather

Visit site
Oh I'm sorry. We have twinning occasionally at my farm. We don't normally pinch them as past experience has usually proved we lose both. Nowadays we just wait to make sure one of the vesicles starts to resorb which they always have done. Best of luck your single ones survive :)

Enfys

Visit site
I don't think I have had a mare of my own bred to my stallion that hasn't twinned, ever. I also know that all his visiting mares which have been scanned (some owners don't bother, so I don't know about those mares of course) have also twinned, one of the unscanned ones had palomino twins last year, both survived.

My Vet prefers to leave Mother Nature to take her course which she always has. It seems to me that twinning is pretty commonplace.

I hope all goes well with your mares.

Victoria25

Visit site
My mare twinned last year and had one popped. She carried the foal full term but then aborted the foal two days after her due date with a facial defect … not saying it was due to the twinning of course, just one of a long list of possible reasons :( x

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
My mare twinned last year and had one popped. She carried the foal full term but then aborted the foal two days after her due date with a facial defect … not saying it was due to the twinning of course, just one of a long list of possible reasons :( x

Highly unlikely! We must pinch at least 6 sets of twins every year and never had a remaining foal with any problems. A facial defect might be due to a cramped udder at the wrong stage of development - but congenital defects happen - usually triggered by a 'problem' at an inappropriate stage of development.

oldywoldy

Visit site
Similar to Janetgeorge we have one mare who always throws twins is always pinched and has never lost the remaining foal (touch wood) she is due to be scanned next week and has had 13 foals! We have already pinched three twinners this year and all have held the remaining pregnancy and have had their heartbeat scan. We had one two years ago who threw up 3 pregnancies two pinched and one remaining held she also is very cystic so it made the vets job very difficult. Personally I would never leave a twin if you monitor it to see if the second pregnancy sorts itself out it would terrify me that you would run out of time to pinch it. It does make a difference having a good AI vet doing it.

Deli

Visit site
Vet came back today. Both mares have now just one blob :):)

Mare 1: Day 18. Vet took rather a while to find it as it was nestled deep in the left horn (scary moment) I was surprised that the shape of the blob had changed from a perfect circle to slightly different but vet said this is normal?

Mare 2: Day 16. All looked good so far

Enfys

Visit site
:D That makes him redundant, doesn't it?

Seriously, leaving Mother Nature to take her course with equine twins means that MOST abort - not a great step to take.

I didn't feel that it was necessary to state that I have re-scans, but obviously it should have been :)

Hardly redundant, the Vet scans and takes the appropriate action.
I might be a minnow in the breeding lake compared to you, I will never profess to be anything else, but I am not stupid.

Last edited: