Bought a new horse!

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
Well - not exactly new and not quite bought, but she has passed the vet and I will be paying for her on Monday next week (fortunately she is one of my sister's and therefore she is OK about waiting for the money despite a queue of people forming behind me to buy her!)

Her name is Hallmark (stable name Pimms) and she is a small hunter, 5 years old. I am really excited! Here is a pic of her a few weeks ago at a show.

pims.jpg

So Bob goes back into retirement after HOYS this year, and I need to get myself fitter to ride Pimms as she takes a bit more riding than Bob does (who is more than capable of going round the ring by himself without a jockey .....)

jj_87

Visit site
oooh shes gorgeous! best of luck with her shes deffo my sort of horse! What are the differences between the hunter classes? how many inches of bone is a middleweight?

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
Thanks! No idea of her breeding - she came over from Ireland in June this year.
She is a small hunter (ideally meant to be a miniature middle weight hunter).
Small hunters are 15.2 max.
Hunters are not so governed by bone the same way as cobs are - but they still need to have a fair amount otherwise they become riding horses!

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
How exciting and what a lovely long career she can have if you decide to breed in the future.

BBs

Visit site
What a stunner
smile.gif

FMM you are going to have such fun with her
cool.gif
Great show name, and Pimms
laugh.gif
you dont need to say you're going out riding, you can say you are going out for a Pimms
wink.gif

So many ppl on here are buying really nice horses atm.....just hope my next one is going to be as nice.

Nickymac

Visit site
She's lovely, and moves like a dream by the look of her. So where will your first outing with her be?

I don't suppose you know of a small riding horse for sale anywhere do you, 4 or 5 yr old ideally? I've got a friend looking for one.

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
My first outing is HOYS! In at the deep end .... I wasn't looking to buy just yet, but my sister had her on horsequest and there were people queuing up to buy her so I had to jump in first!

We have a large RH, a LW hunter and a MW hunter on the yard for sale at the mo but no small RHs! The RH and MW are on HQ - (Executive Decision and Lowmoor Edward)

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
If I do ride her at HOYS I won't have time to get worried as I am riding Bob in the HW cobs in the international arena, and Pimms is due in almost immediately after that in the Caldene area .....

Nickymac

Visit site
Blimey, I'd have to be so dosed up on Rescue Remedy to do all that.....

I'm going to be doing some novice workers with my 4 yr old (who'll be 5 by then) next year, so maybe we can meet up somewhere? I thought I'd do Four Winds, Leicester (if it's not a bog!), Windsor, East of England and the Royal, so if you're going to be at any of those on the same day. (I know it's a long way off but I'm really excited about him so I thought I'd better have a plan!)

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
We usually fo Four Winds, Windsor and the Royal. I would need to be majorly persuaded to risk Leicester again and I am never keen onthe East of England ground - always seems to be very hard. And depends on the judges as well!

Sounds like you are going to be very busy next year - braver than me going over fences - I gave all that up when I had Toby!

Nickymac

Visit site
I'm a newbie to showing so the thing about the judges goes way over my head. At least with workers if you go clear you're going to get back in, so I shall be honing his jumping technique when he comes back from his winter holiday.

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
Pimms is quite an old fashioned type of small hunter - some of the judges prefer the riding horse types and some like them more like Pimms, so I will avoid the ones who go for the pretty type!

Nickymac

Visit site
I don't suppose the pretty vs old fashioned matters as much for workers does it, as mine is definitely more "classic" than "cute". This is a whole new world to me and far removed from my beloved eventing!

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
Jumping style first and foremost for you, then the ability to give the judge a good, forward going ride. There is a real mix of smalls, lw, mw and hw hunters doing workers, so the looks are not so important providing the conformation is good.

Nickymac

Visit site
He's very forward going, and hopefully by next year he can be forward going AND polite. He's very balanced for a big (17.1) 4 year old so he should give the judge a good ride. Sue and John Rawding obviously liked him when they judged the Milton Keynes BYEH as I qualified there, and he had excellent conformation marks at both qualifiers he did.

Do you go to the pre-season show at Keysoe (I can't think what they call it)? If so it would be good to meet up there and pick your brains a little more!