Bouncing bay pony goes to Milton Keynes 3DE...

GinaGeo

Visit site
The car was packed, the bay pony was collected from Uni and we set off down the M1 towards Milton Keynes. The weather forecast was bleak, with thunderstorms forecast and non-stop heavy rain. All I could think was that all my uni friends would be all glammed up for the summer ball and I’d be spending the night sheltering from thunderstorms in a tent – I really wasn’t sure we’d made the right decision. :redface3: Bay pony hates the rain and despises mud. Typically, the further south we travelled, the heavier it rained and the harder the windscreen wipers had to work. Supergroom mum and I developed a new mantra. “We’re here because we want to be, we’re because it’s fun…”. Putting up the Tent, was even more fun, and involved lying on it to prevent a kite flying session, as well as a couple of minor disagreements regarding its construction. Our mantra was repeated several times. After tea, we noticed a small gap in the clouds, and jumped at the opportunity to take bay pony for a leg stretch. He felt fabulous. Through, listening and completely with me so didn’t ride for long. Put him to bed and trailed back to the tent for a good night’s sleep.

The morning resulted with me and supergroom mum both having very sore backsides. The air mattress had kindly completely deflated at 4.30am and coupled with the rain bouncing off the tent, sleep was lacking. :rolleyes3: After a last minute detour to the trade stands to purchase some more hairnets (I swear they grow legs and run away – I get through hundreds of the darned things!) I set too, plaiting and prettifying bay pony. I did wash his legs, but there was little point as they were instantly covered in mud splats within seconds of walking out the stable. :mad3: So complete with waterproofs we headed over to the first Trot up. Solo decided he was in-hand showing and set off at a fair belt, eager to show that not only was he very sound, but that he could easily out trot me too. He was most confused when we didn’t do a full lap of the field, and had a little bit of a strop about being told to stop. But he passed and off we went to sort him out for the Dressage.

http://www.ultimate-images.co.uk/photocart/index.php?do=photocart&viewGallery=18587#image=874749

http://www.ultimate-images.co.uk/photocart/index.php?do=photocart&viewGallery=18587#image=874751

As I was tacking up for dressage the rain seemed to break for lunch and whilst the sun didn’t make an appearance it was positively glorious in comparison! Bay pony was beautifully forward and certainly took a good contact. I focussed our warm up on keeping him soft, through and relaxed. He can get a bit tense when he’s that onwards. His tests were always more relaxed when he wasn’t as fit, now he’s ready and waiting for the fun stuff he started to guess a lot. Walk especially is a battle to stay completely still, or he starts trying to guess what’s next. We’ve done a lot of walk to canter to improve the canter, which worked brilliantly, but now I need to go back and relax the walk again.

DSC07050a_zps29bd2a2c.jpg.html

The centre line was like glue, and bay pony was struggling to understand why he couldn’t trot 1/2m either side, so it wasn’t our usual straight entrance. I also took my foot off the gas for the turn as we’ve had slippage issues in the past, which was noted by the judge. The main comments were ‘needs to let go more in front’, and when I was able too he was scoring eights. When I had to take a bit more of a contact to contain everything we dropped down to sevens and sixes. The final centre line was a little strong and he ignored my subtle halt aids, which meant I had to take a bit of a pull before we ended up trotting over the judge’s car. This was noted and we were rightfully marked down for it. He also got a foot stuck in the mud in the halt – bless.

DSC07068a_zps7861cdf9.jpg

DSC07061a_zpsc5f92a25.jpg

[video=youtube;5rtfP2jcwfA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rtfP2jcwfA[/video]

We scored a respectable 32.5 penalties, which left us in sixth overnight. I hadn’t been intending to buy a stopwatch, it’s going to be a long time before we’re capable of novice so it seemed like an unnecessary expense. But being in a competitive position, my competitive side took over and we trailed off to the trade stands to purchase one.

10338824_10204089593459351_3706695069535870426_n_z  ps541a82ae.jpg

The scheduled talk about the roads and tracks was incredibly useful and gave us lots of hints and tips to make the next day a lot easier, as well as giving us basic guidelines for calculating our mile markers. Supergroom mum and I set off admist a rainstorm to walk the 8km roads and tracks and the 2km cross country course. I don’t think I’ve walked so far in soggy boots for a long time! The XC whilst mostly relatively simple had a couple of questions bay pony and I hadn’t come across before in competition. Three was a pair offset logs, jumped down a slope ridden either on a curve or at angle. Nine was a pair of very skinny barrels on a curving four strides, which was approached from a hair pin turn after a galloping section and was the one that I thought he might not read correctly and in time.

For some reason bay pony hadn’t touched his hay overnight, he can be picky and despite having brought hay from home for him, he was on hunger strike. Cue a bit of a panic. I’d come prepared with a full bag of grass chaff, in case he did this (it happens fairly regularly – diva.). So we spent the morning shovelling grass chaff down him so he had something in his gut. I noticed that his front shoes were a little loose, had heard him clunk them in the dressage, so went off to find the event farrier to ask him to pop us a couple of nails in them. He squeezed us in and Solo stood like a lamb, which was a relief as he has been a bit funny in the past to shoe. Nothing to do with the shoeing process, he can be a little wary of strange men. He’s never really come into contact with men apart from when being shod, but my farrier at Uni has worked hard making friends with him, giving him cuddles and feeding him treats for being good which has paid off thank goodness! My farrier is great!

I had my times strapped to my arm, my stopwatch synced with ‘event time’, supergroom mum had her times to be in certain places in her pocket and we were ready to go. Five seconds to go, I started my stopwatch and off we trotted. Phase A was to be ridden at 250mpm for 16 minutes. The aim was to hit the km markers every four minutes. We started off in a good trot, before we hit a lovely uphill section, where I let him have a good canter to get his muscles warmed up ready for the steeplechase. At the first km I was 2 minutes up on time, which was good as there was a gravel section I’d have to steady up over, with him being studded behind. We completed the rest in trot, with a bit of walk in places. We finished bang on 16minutes, which gave us plenty of time to shorten stirrups, check girth, get a drink, sort out my watch and give him a walk before the steeplechase.

Bay pony has never jumped a steeplechase before, and these were pretty big jumps, the brush was measuring at least 3 foot and without a warm up jump I was a little unsure how he’d react. In the past he has been a bit hesitant at the first fence. He stood beautifully outside the start box as the countdown began, started my stopwatch, the starter said “Go” and he flew. I didn’t know he could accelerate quite so fast! He did hesitate at the first, but went when I said it was Ok. The rest is a bit of a blur, he was flying and by the second lap was starting to understand it. Nice to know the Derby winner a couple of generations back has had an effect somewhere!

DSC07082_zpse79943a2.jpg

DSC07083_zpsf26cc49c.jpg

DSC07085_zps271cb624.jpg

DSC07086_zps69231748.jpg

DSC07087_zps9c12ce8a.jpg

http://www.ultimate-images.co.uk/photocart/index.php?do=photocart&viewGallery=18593#image=875610

[video=youtube;IHshyVakQb8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHshyVakQb8[/video]

The end of phase b is the start of phase c. I kept him cantering, slowing down gradually until he felt ready to walk. Phase c was slower, 160mpm, which is a mix of walk and trot. I kept him up on the clock for the first few km, to allow us to have a steadier time at the end, to help reduce his heart rate ready for the vet check before XC. We trotted the last 50m in to allow the vet to see him trotted to ensure he was sound to continue. Supergroom mum was brilliant and we kept him walking, whilst washing, sweat scraping and washing his boots and legs whilst we were in the 10minute box.

GinaGeo

Visit site
Fence 11 had been removed due to ground conditions, but the time hadn’t been changed. We walked around the startbox and for the last time set my stopwatch running at five. I wasn’t sure how Solo would respond to being tired and whether he would dig deep and keep running, or whether he’d throw in the towel. As a baby he would stop, and even out hacking when he’d had enough he made it very obvious. I went out fully prepared to retire him if he felt tired, I didn’t want to put him off or put either of us at risk. He popped out the startbox like a pro, but didn’t accelerate out the startbox like he did in the steeplechase - thank goodness! But instead settled into a lovely rhythm, which felt about the 435mpm I’d been practising. Fence 3 was approached down a long slope, you had to sit them up, hug the white tape then swing right and jump the two logs on an angle. He answered me brilliantly, listened and popped. Big pat, very pleased with him. The next few fences were all relatively simple and could be jumped out of rhythm, which we did. :biggrin3:

http://www.ultimate-images.co.uk/photocart/index.php?do=photocart&viewGallery=18560#image=870914

He was rather enjoying himself by now and didn’t listen as much as I’d have liked after eight. So swung him wide around the corner, brought him down to trot to make sure he had time to see the first skinny barrel, as they came up very fast, kicked, turned, leg on and popped out over the second one. Very pleased, very big pat, very clever pony. As we cantered past eleven I checked my watch, bang on half way through, that’s where I wanted to be. The next question for him was the water complex. Jump in, couple of strides into the water and then pop out again, I wasn’t overly worried as he’s seen this sort of complex before. He did land after the first and try to turn left, but a quick tap on his left shoulder straightened him up and he popped out neatly.

http://www.ultimate-images.co.uk/photocart/index.php?do=photocart&viewGallery=18566#image=871645

From here it was uphill all the way home, but he was jumping well and was galloping strongly. I came around the corner to the ditch and realised I had over a minute to get home and only four left to jump. There is a rule that states you cannot break pace between the penultimate fence and the finish line, to prevent people walking the last 10m to make the time! So I took a check and let him cruise home. I still had 17seconds on the clock. There’s a fifteen second window that’s penalty free so we were two seconds too quick. 0.8 time penalties from the XC. Very pleased with him, he finished full of running and felt like he could happily canter around again!

We untacked, washed him down and really concentrated on getting his legs cool. As we were there for three days I couldn’t use the ice packs I’d usually use as had no way of keeping them cool. Smothered his legs in cooling gel instead and washed it off after 20mins. We did lots of hand grazing and walking. I usually turn out after he’s competed and obviously this wasn’t an option so kept him moving as much as possible. We walked round the steeplechase, which was. Ahem. Entertaining. When he saw the startbox he started to bounce…!

I also took him for a walk to visit the hayman, and asked if we could try a sample of hay to see if my diva bay pony would eat it. Kindly he complied and Solo merrily dug in, so I bought another bale of hay (we’d brought two with us) and he happily ate that – relief! Upon checking the results I was astonished to see we were in third overnight. For a horse that’s only done two ODE’s in his life, both smaller than this, and missed what was supposed to be his warm up run, with an overnight unsoundness. I was pretty damn proud! :biggrin3:

We were up early the next morning, partially because of the deflating mattress and also because the rain had been bouncing off the tent since the early hours. :frown3: The plan was to take him for a hack in the morning to loosen him off ready for the trot up. He felt fine and even had a bit of a squeal as we walked around the steeplechase course. I set to plaiting up and to my horror realised I’d ended up with the dreaded 13 plaits. I even contemplated, re-doing the top half but with them sewn in it would have taken too long. I conceded to simply take the bottom plait out before the Show jumping. Phew – problem solved.

Trot up was a little nerve wracking. There were several unsound horses being pulled up and even though I knew Solo was absolutely fine I couldn’t help but have it in the back of my mind. I needn’t have worried. He sailed through it, dragging me along behind him as he cantered sideways towards the vet. He was very quickly passed as sound and the Vet wished me luck as Solo bounced along next to me like an excited toddler.

Next up, the dreaded Show jumping. I hate show jumping and having never had a consistent show jumper or any belief in my ability to actually jump a decent round I wasn’t looking forwards to it very much. My other horse, is a confirmed pole basher and 12faults is something to celebrate, mum’s horse who I rode for a bit couldn’t be relied on to take off and my pony whilst on a surface was fine, on grass would land over the first part of a double, stick her head down and eat whilst I sailed over the second half alone. I’m not making excuses, well I am, but it’ll suffice to say that SJ on grass is something I actively avoid, especially as bay pony is a surface snob. As a result bay pony has never Show Jumped on grass, and especially hasn’t Show jumped on bottomless glue. As we were in third it meant we’d be jumping third to last. By this time the ground in front of behind the jumps was deeply rutted, despite the jumps being moved from the previous class. There weren’t many clear rounds, some were racking up cricket scores and most were coming out with at least 8 faults as well as racking up time penalties.

The warm up did nothing to boost my confidence, he was clearly worrying about it and was leaving legs and being all together messy. For a small horse he has a big stride and was jumping more confidently off long strides as it was keeping him out the worst of the mud, that was my plan. We cantered in, the ring was even worse than the warm up, it was like riding on a sponge, and wasn’t returning any energy to the horse at all, was completely sapping and “dead”. He was doing really well, listening and jumping off long strides to stay out the mud.

http://www.ultimate-images.co.uk/photocart/index.php?do=photocart&viewGallery=18575#image=872734

http://www.ultimate-images.co.uk/photocart/index.php?do=photocart&viewGallery=18575#image=872735

http://www.ultimate-images.co.uk/photocart/index.php?do=photocart&viewGallery=18575#image=872735

http://www.ultimate-images.co.uk/photocart/index.php?do=photocart&viewGallery=18575#image=872738

We turned the corner to the final double and he popped a small stride in, the front pole of the spread fell and he jumped too far in and the top pole of part b fell too. 8 faults.

http://www.ultimate-images.co.uk/photocart/index.php?do=photocart&viewGallery=18575#image=872739

http://www.ultimate-images.co.uk/photocart/index.php?do=photocart&viewGallery=18575#image=872740

[video=youtube;MD6KqzZosKc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD6KqzZosKc[/video]

I didn’t care. I was so pleased with him, for continuing to try, not losing his confidence and for trusting me. We ended up fourth, finishing on 41.3 penalties. Got a lovely shiny completion plaque which will be going outside his stable door, a lovely rosette, a voucher for the shop and a voucher to pay the start fee for the September 3DE. Guess where I’ll be in September. :biggrin3:

http://www.ultimate-images.co.uk/photocart/index.php?do=photocart&viewGallery=18576#image=872763

http://www.ultimate-images.co.uk/photocart/index.php?do=photocart&viewGallery=18576#image=872765

DSC07111a_zps092c396d.jpg

We’re now home, I have a kitchen full of washing. Loads of tack to clean, a tent to dry, sleeping bags to air and it was all 100% worth it. We’re going to spend a summer sorting our dressage, and improving our Show Jumping. But we’ll be back in September ready to try and win the gorgeous winners rug!

Well done for getting this far - I have some yummy Cadbury's honeycomb biscuits if you're quick!

PorkChop

Visit site
Lovely, lovely report and congratulations on your placing, fantastic!

Loved watching the steeplechase video, it looked a lot of fun.

GinaGeo

Visit site
Well done, he looks so speedy round the steeplechase.

He surprised me! As a four year old, out hacking he used to drag his toes and moan something rotten about being asked to go any further. He was a right lazy toad! Getting him super fit has made a huge difference!

Madali

Visit site
Great report and photos. The ground was shocking wasn't it. It took me all day today to get the mud off of everything.
I am bone weary and thinking about bed

GinaGeo

Visit site
Well done! He looks amazing, and you ride him so well :)

Thank You - that means a lot!

Great report and photos. The ground was shocking wasn't it. It took me all day today to get the mud off of everything.
I am bone weary and thinking about bed

The ground was bad - but when it stopped raining it was drying up fast! I haven't got as far as mud removal yet - the kitchen is still full! Bed is sounding like a very good idea!

EveningStar

Visit site
Well done, what a great effort!
He is super cute and he looks great going xc - you can tell he thinks its the fun bit.
A 3DE at mini heights is such a good idea, I'd love to have a go but not sure they do any here.

GinaGeo

Visit site
Brilliant report, and brilliant result! :D

Thank You - I'm so proud of him!

Well done, what a great effort!
He is super cute and he looks great going xc - you can tell he thinks its the fun bit.
A 3DE at mini heights is such a good idea, I'd love to have a go but not sure they do any here.

Thank you! We really enjoyed ourselves, and it's a shame that more places don't do the long format - it's a really useful skill and was a fabulous weekend! He's started to enjoy his XC now - he never used to be particularly interested in getting his feet wet!

Congratulations! What an excellent result. Brilliant report and great photos of the launch from the start box! :)

Sounds like you and the bay one had an absolute ball despite the rain, good luck in Sept.

Thank you! I love that sequence of photographs - supergroom mum's other job whilst we're eventing is to be our personal photographer! :biggrin3:

Great report, (and result!) ~ he looks really good fun : )

Thank you! He's a complete dude and is such a fabulous person to have around!

Lulabella

Visit site
Massive well done, that's a great result, especially considering the conditions!
What height was the class - the 'chase fences look bigger than the xc?
Looks such fun, makes me want to go now! :)

GinaGeo

Visit site
Massive well done, that's a great result, especially considering the conditions!
What height was the class - the 'chase fences look bigger than the xc?
Looks such fun, makes me want to go now! :)

Thank You! The class was 2ft 6 to 2ft 9. The steeplechase jumps were a lot bigger than the XC due to the allowance for the brush. They were at least 3ft, and were quite wide. Big step up from class 0 to class 1! We had a blast - they're well worth doing!

Carefreegirl

Visit site
Well done :biggrin3: No mean feat completing let alone coming 4th ! I did it twice back in 2003, seems like a lifetime ago. Fab pictures and big respect for continuing when the weather was so vile.

Lulabella

Visit site
Thank You! The class was 2ft 6 to 2ft 9. The steeplechase jumps were a lot bigger than the XC due to the allowance for the brush. They were at least 3ft, and were quite wide. Big step up from class 0 to class 1! We had a blast - they're well worth doing!

I see! So did you do class 1? I like the sound of this, 2'6 - 2'9 seems do-able!
The steeplechase fences do look big! Looks like he ate it up though! :)

GinaGeo

Visit site
Well done :biggrin3: No mean feat completing let alone coming 4th ! I did it twice back in 2003, seems like a lifetime ago. Fab pictures and big respect for continuing when the weather was so vile.

Thank You!!! Last weekend he trotted up "not right" behind. So to even be there let alone place was phenomenal! So pleased with him! The weather was gross - but so worth it!

I see! So did you do class 1? I like the sound of this, 2'6 - 2'9 seems do-able!
The steeplechase fences do look big! Looks like he ate it up though! :)

Yes we did Class 1 this time. Think that in September we'll do Class 2, as the biggest change is the technicality of the XC, which shouldn't be an issue :) Not too much change in height.

GinaGeo

Visit site
well done

just out of interest what saddle do you have

I use Solution Saddles on him. He has the Smart Suprabloc close contact dressage and the Original GP, set up as a Jumping saddle. Very secure, very comfortable and he's never been ridden in anything else!

GinaGeo

Visit site
Fantastic report. Well done! Superfit horse who looked like he was loving it.

Thank you! He was thoroughly enjoying himself, was going to enter him for a One day soon, but think I need to decrease his fitness first if I don't want to steeplechase the XC :eek3:

Dickybob

New User
Visit site
I thought it was. How do you set gp up as a jumping saddle?? And what do you use under it. Just been gettin a solution gp

GinaGeo

Visit site
I use the slimline knee blocks. I'm quite long in the thigh and this set up allows me to really hoick my stirrups up for jumping in, even with me having quite a long thigh. Before I got the dressage saddle I used to use wedge blocks, set back under the flap which worked well. I have the Solution dorsal pad with a set of shims in under the saddle, this Velcro's onto the Solution Saddlecloth. With the dressage saddle I use an acavallo front riser gel pad.

Well worth having an advisor out to get everything sorted to start with. :smile3: