Bowed tendon...

Mustangsally21

New User
Visit site
Just wondering how much importance everyone places on an old tendon injury? I have an 8 year old mare who blew a tendon as a 4 yr old polo pony but has been sound on it every since and is now hunting and jumping etc. is it going to be a major problem when i come to sell her?

PitPony

Visit site
I bought an ex-racehorse with both fronts blown...but obviously well tended too as hardly noticable. She was 9 when I bought her and never had any issue with them..vet told me as theyare blown then nothing more can really go wrong with them unless you get secondary infection which is unusual. I did dressage and jumped her with no problems.
It was arthritis that got her...probably due to racing as a 2 year old!

Clippy

Visit site
Tendon injuries are always going to be a weakness to some degree and a vet will always point them out to a prospective purchaser. It may well be that a horse with a bowed tendon has stayed sound for hunting and jumping, but would a vet give any guarantee for the future? I think not, sadly :(

Holly Hocks

Visit site
My old gelding had blown both front tendons - they were not pretty! However he was never lame - we did dressage and hacking and his own fashion of jumping - the tendons never affected him - sadly arthritis took over in the end, but for a horse who had no future, I had him until he was 21.

PitPony

Visit site
Btw...I still have my mare...she is 23...suddenly thought it sounded like she had gone and I was being a bit flippant...not the case. She is a retired lady of leisure and runs the yard i am on!!