Box rest day 2 grazing in hand.... hmmm

Keltic

Visit site
Thought she might be feeling a bit sore this morning so have covered her headcollar in sheepskin. The wounds had alot of yellow puss around them but looked ok once cleaned up.

I took her for some grass in hand however she had other ideas! She was acting like she was on a lunge going round and round then pulled me along and as its so wet I was just sliding along out of control! Think i will get her bridle out and put her nathe bit in with a newmarket chain this afternoon for our walk, she hasnt really had a bit in for 7 years so it might shock her into behaving lol!!

I might have to look into a calmer or sedalin for her she has had an age reversal and instead of acting like a 31 yo she is more like 13 lol
Any calmer suggestions?

Anyone want to come and walk out a 31yo Tb feel free???!!!

Keltic

Visit site
Your right think i will need it! I will have to put my trainers on for our "walk" as i jog whilst she power walks! It does always make me wonder what she was like as a 2yo in the parade ring before a race!

Balibee

Visit site
I feel for you. Most calmers take time to get in their systems so for the short term I wouldn't do that route. BUt if you do avoid Global herbs supacalm as it can act as a tonic to start with! Equine America So kalm is a good one as it has L Tryptophan in. But for short term box rest I would go the sedalin route.

My horse was on box rest and being a big 17hh beastie who can't coep being cooped up it was too dangerous to hand graze unless he was given sedalin. It made the world of difference.

He was on 2.5ml twice a day and became so much easier to manage

Good luck :)

maxapple

Visit site
I think I would just keep in her in box for two weeks until her wounds have healed - then use sedaline to start walking her out. It tough I know but will be so much better for her - you might hurt her wounds if she acts like a wally while you are grazing her in hand.

They do settle usually once they realise they are staying in (I feel your pain - my TB is on week 15 of box rest after fracturing his leg) He had to be sedated initially (he was cross tied) but has really settled now.

We are hopefully starting walking out soon - and I am dreading it. Sedaline at the ready!!

china

Visit site
i cant say i am a massive fan of boxrest, i sometimes feel its unecesary (sp) unless there is a good reason to restrict there movement. it just causes more problem, like respiratory problems and swellings. (but this is purley how i feel about it, not saying its wrong)
could you not pop a fly mask on her to cover the wound and turn her out somewhere fairly dry for a few hours.

Keltic

Visit site
Trouble is we have no-where dry to turn her out so the fly mask route at the moment is a no no. She needs to get out for a walk as her legs fill really bad so she really needs to stretch them. Damned if I do damned if i dont! lol