Box Rest Escape Artist

Bex2326

New User
Visit site
Hello Everyone,

I'm having a small nightmare with my youngster who today for the 2nd time in a row cleared his stable door in a bid for freedom. Hes been on box rest due to a deep cut on his front offside leg which got infected and he's now going bonkers!! The wound is still open but i need to find way a bandaging of it to keep it clean so i can turn him out before he does further damage to himself or me!! Any ideas?

confused.gif

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
How muddy are your fields - you may be better off just sticking him out with the wound covered with vet wrap. If you can bring him in every evening to take the dressing off and make sure it is clean etc. you will probably be fine.

BuckingHorse

Visit site
Do you want to sell him as grand prix potential?
grin.gif

When ours are in this situation we use an anti weave grill and also shut the v part to keep them in.
Then good routine with plenty of stimulation and grooming to stop them getting too bored until you can turn out.
Can you walk him out in hand to improve circulation?

Bex2326

New User
Visit site
Thanks for the advice - He does have other horses in around him but this doesn't seem to soothe him. About to escape from work and invest in vet wrap and pads and an anti weave grill i think. May let him go out for an hour with it bandaged then try to contain him with grill. He does walk out and still has his manners at the moment which is good. Hes just a typical Welsh at times!!

samp

Visit site
I would bandage it anyway, just to prevent any proud flesh from forming if it is that deep. You could get some ACP off the vet?

bellgave

Visit site
If hes only going out for an hour, bandage it normally and then try to make the dressing water proof by taping a bit of cling film or something similar over it. I KNOW it wont be able to breath but it will keep the cut dry and clean for a short spin around the field!!