Box Rest for Pregnant Mare

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Ok you guys who are experienced breeders - would you put a mare in her last month of pregnancy on box rest??

EllieBeast

Visit site
frown.gif
oh no, sorry to hear that AM, i have no idea about breeding, but i suppose following vets orders would be best. or is there a way of sectioning off a small area in the paddock?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Yes, have actually spoken to vet this morning. And they said exactly the same as you. I did put her in a little padock in front of the house this morning knowing she would be quiet. Vet said that this was fine - but if she started to prat around to pop her back in the box. Which will happen at around 2.00 as everyone is leaving for Devon County.

She's not too bad - and I suspect was caused by too much running around yesterday after some horses were moved.

Tempi

Visit site
oh sorry to hear that AM
frown.gif
I guess that even a small amount of turnout a day in a small field is better than nothing, or if not perhaps box rest and walking out in hand twice a day?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
oh sorry to hear that AM
frown.gif
I guess that even a small amount of turnout a day in a small field is better than nothing, or if not perhaps box rest and walking out in hand twice a day?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, we'll have to see how it goes. Poor old love. She's not crippled, however I obviously don't want it to get to the stage where she needs bute obviously.

Folara

Visit site
Oh Im sorry to hear this. We had a prob last year with our maiden mare when she stupidly ripped her back leg open and had to be stitched to the eyeballs. Hope all goes well.

amandaco2

Visit site
i would but if poss use a very small paddock for part of the day to mooch about it to keep the blood flowing and stress down.provided she would be sensible.otehrwise walk out in hand twice a day(5mins is better than nothing)

BBs

Visit site
Oh I am sorry to hear this AM
frown.gif

Hope she recovers quickly.

Im a fan of turning out in a small paddock rather than complete box rest if i can. Unless its going to make matters worse.