box rest/spavin woes

noblesteed

Visit site
Hi all,
My horse is 2 and a half months into 3 months box rest after an op on his annular ligament and tendon sheath on his right hind.
He has spavin in both hocks so it was a last resort to operate.
Well the expected has happened - now the nights have turned cold he is stiff as a board. The farrier couldn't even get his hind legs into a decent position to shoe him! I rang the vet and his solution was to come out and inject the hocks with steroids. I said there was no point just yet as I cannot ride him.We are going to wait a few more weeks til horse will be ready for a scan and inject then while he is sedated.

Anyway in the meantime I feel awful having him on box rest while he just siezes up. He's lame on both hinds now and so miserable. He's getting two 20 min walks a day but it's not enough. Plus he's been getting really naughty on his walks, jumping and spinning round all the time.

Yesterday I was so cheesed off and felt so sorry for him I put him in the pony paddock for a few hours in the sunshine! He was much better. Farrier says that's the best thing to do. Vet obviously says NO turnout at all due to tendon sheath still healing, but he's not the type of horse to hoon about - he's more interested in eating.

I am not sure what to do for the best!!! Any advice would be much appreciated!

hihosilver

Visit site
Hi all,
My horse is 2 and a half months into 3 months box rest after an op on his annular ligament and tendon sheath on his right hind.
He has spavin in both hocks so it was a last resort to operate.
Well the expected has happened - now the nights have turned cold he is stiff as a board. The farrier couldn't even get his hind legs into a decent position to shoe him! I rang the vet and his solution was to come out and inject the hocks with steroids. I said there was no point just yet as I cannot ride him.We are going to wait a few more weeks til horse will be ready for a scan and inject then while he is sedated.

Anyway in the meantime I feel awful having him on box rest while he just siezes up. He's lame on both hinds now and so miserable. He's getting two 20 min walks a day but it's not enough. Plus he's been getting really naughty on his walks, jumping and spinning round all the time.

Yesterday I was so cheesed off and felt so sorry for him I put him in the pony paddock for a few hours in the sunshine! He was much better. Farrier says that's the best thing to do. Vet obviously says NO turnout at all due to tendon sheath still healing, but he's not the type of horse to hoon about - he's more interested in eating.

I am not sure what to do for the best!!! Any advice would be much appreciated!

I would have done the same as long as he is not running around he will be better for having time out x

be positive

Visit site
The vet may think no turnout is essential for healing the tendon sheath but from the sound of things walking will be potentially more damaging for him than restricted turnout, the fact he just gets his head down to eat means he is less likely to do any harm and to my mind the benefits outweigh the risk, after 21/2 months being in he should be far enough down the road for the tendon sheath to cope, at the end of the day there is little point having one area healed if the hocks are seizing up and causing him pain, not to mention his mental health or the risk of injury to you when trying to walk him.

My horse was meant to go on restricted turnout following an op, it was mid winter, he is not one to settle alone or be content with grazing, I know he would have hooned about every day potentially doing further damage so we sedated him and turned him out with a companion 24/7 in a small field where he could really relax, sometimes the owners know what is best for the individual, vets need to be more flexible in certain circumstances.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I would have done the same as you OP. I would also try magnet boots for the stiffness. Vets don't always take into account the practicalities when recommending exercise programmes.