Box rest stable toys

peanut

Visit site
My boy's just been put on box rest for two weeks with suspected lami
frown.gif

He's nearly climbing the walls with boredom after only a day. Can anyone please suggest stable toys that don't involve food?

abracadabra

Visit site
how about a ball? football or gym ball if boy isnt scared...

one of mine sometimes has his dinner in a snack a ball but tackles it around even wehen its empty (he knows its empty mind)

Enfys

Visit site
Paper feedsack filled with hay and carrots etc (or whatever he is allowed to eat)
Cardboard box to murder/throw around (check for those sneaky staples )

These only work if you have a mouthy horse that isn't spooky though.

Hide bits of carrot etc in his bed. (Not much good if he on matting!)

Hedwards

Visit site
really fill a haynet up so its almost bursting and then poke carrots/apples etc into it - my old mare spent hours picking through the hay to get them (she was on box rest 8 months!) also if you can drill a hole through a turnip or the like and then tie it up in the stable above his head, that might keep him busy a while.

rebeccaedwards

New User
Visit site
Hi,

My boy was on box rest for eight months with a broken leg. I would strongly recommend a turnip or swede tied up on a rop. It used to keep him occupied for hours as he tried to bite it!

I would also recommend a mirror (i got mine from stablemirrors.co.uk or something like that). He seemed to enjoy standing next to himself, and it calmed him down as soon as I put it up. (My vet warned against it as she thought it might make him worse, but we decided to give it a go and take it down if it did not help.)

Hope that helps!

abracadabra

Visit site
i kept a mare in for a week this winter, no toys just all the hay she could stuff in, she didnt actually seem bored at all and had to be prised back out for her 24/7 turnout
smile.gif