box rest

ceva

Visit site
My horse was shod last Tuesday, rode Wednesday, fine Thursday, came in lame Friday, hosed puffy fetlock, he's a bit of a wassock in field so thought he had been galloping about and ground now quite hard, Friday evening still lame, so hosed again and ice tight, Saturday morning little better, so called into local vets for some danilon to ease pain, Saturday evening he was on three legs bless him so called vet out, he was already on a call out, but came as soon as he could arrived at 9.30pm
gave him antibiotics injection, farrier abroad on holiday so friend in village retired farrier came out and took shoe off, nothing there hoof fine no abcess, or pus, vet thought fetlock infection, that set in the panic, as heard that is horrid, so onto box rest, leg bandaged, Sunday morning hosed leg and was bearing weight, but still lame, Sunday night some more improvement, Monday morning just about normal, hosed leg and so walked him a few yards to eat some grass he seems fine, still on danilon, but only one sachet morning and night can't believe the improvement in just 48 hours I'm so relieved, we now think he had badly twisted said fetlock in field, so keeping him in till Friday, just to be sure
Has anyone any tips for turning out so he doesn't strain it again as I'm sure he will be dead keen to get back in field with all his mates, he was such a good boy for vet and farrier as he was in a lot of pain but being very good on his own in stable during day, then he has some company at night.
I have been very lucky as all my years with horses I have never experienced box rest before. I have to say I don't envy anyone who has to box rest horses I am only into day 3 and I hate it, how do you manage when its weeks and months.
Just thought I would share this with you all.

P.S Farrier got wine and shortbread for turning out so late, Vet got fresh cream cakes next day as he was brilliant with my boy

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I do many of these for mine

leave a radio on (l)
float apples in water buckets
get a treat ball
hang vegetables and fruit in a home made mobile
dot treats round the stable on ledges etc for the horse to find
put likits in
boredom breaker
stable mirror (l)
put hay into a small holed haynet or hayrack
hide treats in the hay / haylage for horse to find
dog pulls can amuse some horses (l)
hang a small bottle of water on a string by the door for horse to play with (l)
put some apple juice into manger for horse to drink
put a football or horse ball in stable (l)
give the horse lunch time scoop of ready grass ( something to look forward to )
cut some fresh grass and put on the floor for him to eat
cut some dandelions and put in stable.
if you can cut some nettles and when dry put in stable.
dot some licorice around the stable the strong smell will keep him amused.
put some crushed polo's into a bottle with a screw top make a few holes in it so smell comes out
hang some wind chimes near his stable. (l)
have the owner make a cd/ cassette of his voice ( reciting a poem etc ) (l)
cut a horse friendly small branch for horse to chew on
get a small water feature, the sound of running water calms horses (l)
if at all possible try grazing or turning horses friend out in paddock where box rest horse can see him. (l)
put some clear apple juice in his water to make his drink tasty and to make sure he is keeping fluids up
hang a familiar rug over his door like his best friends or girl friend to make him for relaxed (l)
hang a Scandinavian salt block up
put a window in the back of the stable if they are due for long term box rest
Put a football in its stable
two haynets each side of stable so he can wander between them both
Have a visiting masseuse treat him weekly or once a month
Sedaline - a mild amount to keep the edge off
Get a small handfull of hay twist it both ends opposite way so like a long sausage, once its twisted as much as you can make a knot in it and pull tight, the horse will chuck it around and spin it around giving fun times.
fill a haynet and bury fruit within the hay net

Allykat

Visit site
Blimey that's a great list of things. Thank you. I'm on month 4 of box rest although has only been the last week where other horses are now seen in the field so box rest is no longer a good place to be.

Will work through that list.

Goldenstar

Visit site
How do you cope with box rest ?
You simply focus on saving your horses life and soundness six months is the longest I have done

JillA

Visit site
When it does come to that first day out, electric fencing is your friend. Make him a paddockette with enough room to move about a bit but not enough to get up a head of steam. I did one in front of my horse's stable, called it his house and garden.
Fortunately (given how much he likes to get damaged!) my horse LOVES box rest, being of a basically lazy disposition, but I do find, if you can, having a daytime box helps, gives the "bedroom" chance to dry out and air and vice versa.

The point about fluids is important, if they don't get enough they are at risk of impaction colic. Sloppy beet pulp helps

Last edited:

Cecile

Visit site
I do many of these for mine

leave a radio on (l)
float apples in water buckets
get a treat ball
hang vegetables and fruit in a home made mobile
dot treats round the stable on ledges etc for the horse to find
put likits in
boredom breaker
stable mirror (l)
put hay into a small holed haynet or hayrack
hide treats in the hay / haylage for horse to find
dog pulls can amuse some horses (l)
hang a small bottle of water on a string by the door for horse to play with (l)
put some apple juice into manger for horse to drink
put a football or horse ball in stable (l)
give the horse lunch time scoop of ready grass ( something to look forward to )
cut some fresh grass and put on the floor for him to eat
cut some dandelions and put in stable.
if you can cut some nettles and when dry put in stable.
dot some licorice around the stable the strong smell will keep him amused.
put some crushed polo's into a bottle with a screw top make a few holes in it so smell comes out
hang some wind chimes near his stable. (l)
have the owner make a cd/ cassette of his voice ( reciting a poem etc ) (l)
cut a horse friendly small branch for horse to chew on
get a small water feature, the sound of running water calms horses (l)
if at all possible try grazing or turning horses friend out in paddock where box rest horse can see him. (l)
put some clear apple juice in his water to make his drink tasty and to make sure he is keeping fluids up
hang a familiar rug over his door like his best friends or girl friend to make him for relaxed (l)
hang a Scandinavian salt block up
put a window in the back of the stable if they are due for long term box rest
Put a football in its stable
two haynets each side of stable so he can wander between them both
Have a visiting masseuse treat him weekly or once a month
Sedaline - a mild amount to keep the edge off
Get a small handfull of hay twist it both ends opposite way so like a long sausage, once its twisted as much as you can make a knot in it and pull tight, the horse will chuck it around and spin it around giving fun times.
fill a haynet and bury fruit within the hay net

What a great list of idea's :)

ceva

Visit site
Thank you for all your comments and the list is fantastic so will print it off and put it in our tackroom, My horse was sound as a pound when I walked him out this morning, still hosing and support bandage and I am keeping him in for another two days while he comes off the Danilon, he's seems very chilled as can see his friends in the paddock, I hope when he goes out on Friday he doesn't go silly I think I may give him a small dose of sedalin before he goes out and make sure all the others are settled, I am saving him a strip of grass so he will be keen to get his head down and eat. At least we have had a decent amount of rain so paddocks will be softer.
Thanks all