Boxers with crusty noses?

Thistle

Visit site
Spike has a revolting scabby crusty nose. I put lip salve on it daily but it is not improving. It looks quite red and sore below his nose too.

As anyone who has a boxer knows that huge tongue just licks off anything on th enose.

What can I do?

Evadiva1514

Visit site
I just put a 'dollop' of vaseline on it and masage it in, thankfully Lucy doesn't seem to suffer too much with this but my last boxer had a real crusty nose and this was the only thing that added a bit of moisture.

vizzielover

Visit site
Having done Boxer Rescue for over 20 years I have come across this problem on many, many ocasions. The best solution found up to now has been Vaseline Intensive Care handcream. Give your dog's nose a wash after eating and put on some cream, rub it in and you should see a difference in a few weeks. You could also put ordinary Vaseline on his nose before you feed him, it will help any bits of food from sticking.
Hope you find yhis of some help.

Oneofthepack

Visit site
I'm not a boxer expert but this rang bells with me as a dog we had when I was a child had this. We put vaseline on his nose every day but the same as yours, it got very sore and red until we had to take him to the vet. I hate to tell you this but the vet diagnosed a form of cancer. He didn't die from it but it did get steadily worse and more hard to keep him comfortable until he died of something unrelated. Please go to the vet, particularly as it's getting sore

Stinkbomb

goldenoakmochachino.blogspot.com
You mean like this???!!!

P1020004.jpg

Malic has always had a crusty nose!!! He goes to the vets every couple of weeks for treatment and they have never once questioned that its something other than a crusty nose!!

Thistle

Visit site
He has always been to the vet regularly for other problems, eye ulcer and a mast cell tumour being the most recent. They say his nose is 'normal' for his breed.

Having dealt with Mast cell, cancer now holds no fear! He had lump removed in Nov and so far, so good!

I presume the lip salve I use is a similar answer to the vaseline but it isn't helping. I have 2 other dogs and a cat, ferrets etc as well as the horses, but as far as the vets go, when I ring they always say 'what is wrong with Spike!'

Do you think udder cream may help?

Stinkbomb

goldenoakmochachino.blogspot.com
I know how you feel with regards the vets
frown.gif
Malic has cardiomyopathy, he is hypothyroid and has a brain tumour
frown.gif
vets say he is a walking miracle that he's still alive
smirk.gif
crazy.gif
Not sure what to put on their nose we have always left well alone ( except if he grazed it and then we just bathed it )

Thistle

Visit site
The crust on Spikes just seems to be getting thicker. Sometimes it is sore and he yelps when playing with his big ball.( to be honest if he didn't headbut things then it wouldn't hurt!)

MurphysMinder

Visit site
We had a GSD with a sore and crusty nose when I was a teenager (back in the dark ages). The vets said it was a form of cancer, and it certainly never healed. However I don't remember any specific tests being done on his nose, and he lived a good long life and in the end had to be put down with DM (went off his hind legs). Mum used to put vaseline on his nose, but sometimes it did get quite sore. Vets nowadays probably have much better diagnostic techniques so as long as your vet isn't concerned I would just use vaseline.

Buckoon

New User
Visit site
We had two boxers with very crusty noses - it looked like their dinner had dried on. The best thing we found was sudocrem (or supermarkets own brands). It worked wonders.

Rainbowrider

Visit site
Don't quote me on this, but I'm sure I have heard putting a few drops of white vinegar in their food/water stops them getting a crusty nose and stops their eyes running down their face.

Boxers

Visit site
My old Boxer used to have a crusty nose. I used to rub vaseline into it and then after a few days of doing this I picked the bits off. He didn't seem to mind and just lay with his head in my lap and let me do it. It never appeared sore and after I picked it I rubbed more vaseline in.

The first time I took him to the vet about it she said 'it's mud' - er doh! I took my dog to the vet cos it had mud on it's nose - I don't think so. then she found she couldn't wash it off and then said she didn't know what it was!