Boxy Feet

AliJo

Visit site
My mare has got boxy front feet. The farrier has said that all her feet are very strong and in excellent condition but I was just wondering if there is a downside to having boxy feet and if any of you had been advised about it. Thanks.

Claireg9

Visit site
We knew a horse that had boxy feet all round, unfortunately she ended up having to be put down. They did a post mortem but i dont know the inns and outs as i was to young to get involved.
Sorry i know its not what you want to hear, but it would put me off of buying a horse with boxy feet, but thats not to say yours is the same thing and im sure if your farrier says the feet are fine that he knows what he is talking about, and if she has no pain or anything theres no reason why it should stop you doing anything!

lizzieuk1

Visit site
i think it probably predisposes them to concussion injuries sonce they have not got the flexion to absorb it as well as other conformations, can thus lead to arthritic conditions. thats not to say yours will have any probs i'm sur there are loads out there that have perfectly healthy lives.

Fairynuff

Visit site
Boxy feet are usually linked to navicular disease and pedal ostitis. I wouldnt buy a horse with said feet but know of a few who have them and so far have had no problems. The long term results are a bit dodgy though due to stress on the joints etc. Sorry
blush.gif
M.

Prudence

Visit site
Are both her feet the same? Is her shoulder at the same angle to her HPAA (Hoof Pastern Axis Angle)? In my opinion, that is very important - no matter what the angle is!