Bran Mash - Help please...

bountyboy

Visit site
Im thinking about giving my horse a bran mash once a week now the winter has started. Has anyone got any good recipes or information about this? Any help much appreciated...
Thanks

Pasha

Visit site
Why do you want to give a bran mash once a week?

It's not good to abruptly change the horses diet (even if for one feed), as it can lead to colic. Also it can upset the gut flora, causing an imbalance

i think recent studies have shown that there is no proof that bran significantly improves a horses normal diet as it is basically fibre which they should be receiving anyway through their forage ration

Nailed

Visit site
i would like ot feed a ban mash once a week. I think putting some mix into the bran mash with some salt and some water is nice for a horse on a cold winters night and to be honest the old methods work best so go for it.

Lou x

Pasha

Visit site
This worried me a bit - so I did some research (below) - you can also read the full article on: http://www.animalnetwork.com/horse/detail.aspx?aid=3151&cid=27&category=

P.S. If you google Horse Feed: Bran Mash you get similar articles saying the same thing... not a good idea!

"It is well known among veterinarians, nutritionists and experienced equestrians that a sudden change in diet causes digestive disorders in horses. At the least, the horse may experience mild intestinal discomfort that makes him cranky, anxious or sluggish. Diarrhea, excess gas, colic or laminitis are other possible consequences.

Sudden means that the change is made all at once, rather than gradually in small stages. A change in feed can be anything from switching to a new load of hay, substituting a different grain mix for one you've been feeding or turning a horse wintered on hay out on a lush spring pasture.

When a new feed or any other dietary change is gradually made over a period of days or even weeks, the horse's various gut microbes, which are essential for good digestion, vitamin synthesis and overall health, have time to adjust the size of their respective populations to the shifting ratios of carbohydrates, fats, protein and fiber they must process. But when a sudden change is made, it shocks the microbe population, destroys its balance and results in the death of a proportion of these beneficial and essential microorganisms. The dying microbes are not only unable to assist in proper digestion, but they also give off toxins that can be absorbed through the intestinal walls and into the horse's bloodstream to the detriment of the animal's well being.

If the sudden change is a relatively small one, the horse may experience abdominal distress and discomfort, such as mild gas or diarrhea, but not life-threatening consequences, such as colic or laminitis. Researchers now suspect that is what happens when horses get a weekly or occasional bran mash." (By Bonnie Kreitler and Ginger Rich, Ph.D.)

Capriole

Visit site
the old methods arent necessarily the best methods, horse care and nutrition has moved on (whcih is why many horses are living longer) and bran mashes arent a very good idea (for a start in the old days bran actually had a little nutritional value - modern production methods mean it doesnt) as its changing the horses diet suddenly, which we're advised not to do now

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
When working for Geoff Luckett we gave the horses a bran mash on a Monday night (nuts/bran/epsom salts/hot water) and all of the horses there are in perfect health.

Vicki1986

Visit site
i gave my horse bran mash for about 2 weeks (only a small aamount added to feed) (as advised by vet) when she had diaroheea (sp) and it sorted her out

and arent bran mashes advised when a horse has had a hard day competing or hunting in cold nasty weather? thats what the more 'old school' people taught me anyhow

Capriole

Visit site
thts what i learnt too, back in the old days, im quite 'old school' in many ways .
but i also respect modern scientific research, and i dont think i cant learn anything new and iaccept that methods and theories develop and change
smile.gif

JessPickle

Visit site
Well our yard feeds bran mash to the oldies at the yard just because they absolutely love it, most of there are rather lacking in teeth now so soft mush is ideal (they love sugarbeet as well!!)!! and they are all great for there age so I cant see what harm is done

Parkranger

Visit site
I read recently that you shouldn't give bran mash to horses with glucosamine supplements in their diet - something to bear in mind...

Rosyryan

Visit site
I used to give my neds bran mashes weekly before living in Germany for 5 years where a vet there was shocked to hear of their weekly "treat", he said that soaked bran is not beneficial to the horse's gut, he then also said "you English is it true that you feed your horses,gunpowder (saltpetre) after hunting to clear out their digestive tract?

I denied doing that but my old teacher caretainly used to advocate it!

In the olden days of course!

nellie33

New User
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I read recently that you shouldn't give bran mash to horses with glucosamine supplements in their diet - something to bear in mind...

[/ QUOTE ]
Why not? Guenuninely interested - my 34yr old has small bran mash every night with her cider vinegar and msm suppliments

Twiglet

Visit site
My neighbour's horse is currently at the vet's receiving treatment for severe spasmodic colic attack last night - the first thing they gave him to eat today?
Bran mash........a leading veterinary surgery in the SE, and they swear by it........