Bran... other uses?

Evil_Cookie

Visit site
Does anyone else have this problem?

My mare had colic a little while ago, and the vet advised bran mashes for a few days to get her moving just in case... But now I'm left with half a bag full of bran... what can I do with it? should I feed it? or can I make some treats or something out of it? Or is it designated to the bin?

Any suggestions appreciated
smile.gif

EC

EllieBeast

Visit site
You can add it to the normal feed unsoaked just to bulk it a bit. theres an old wives tale that feeding bran is good to preventmud fever too, i used to feed it to my lass.

Evil_Cookie

Visit site
So if I was to add it to my tb mares feed of hifi lite, sugarbeet, calm&condition and oil, as long as thoroughly soaked it would just be another source of fibre? Would it cause any problems?

And soaked cold?

EC

EllieBeast

Visit site
Just add it dry to her normal feed (as the sugarbeet will keep it moist enough). it has basically no nutritional content, so there should be no adverse effects!

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
No it shouldn't cause any problems at all as long as you don't feed too much of it; by that I mean more than a scoop at a time.

If I was feeding what you are, I would start with the bran as a base and mix in with the sugar beet first so it is thoroughly mixed and damp, then add the other bits; it shouldn't be wringing wet, just hand damp but do not feed it dry. For a change you can make a mash with warm water (I sometimes, if it's very cold, pour warm water over my soaked sugar beet; I like warm gravy, don't see why they shouldn't too!) If you feed it to get them to eat medicine then you can add black treacle or apple juice to a jug of warm water for a treat too.

You can also use bran for poultices, very good drawing properties; I personally wouldn't consign it to the bin, horses usually love it and I always feed light mashes for the week before the mares foal.

jayvee

Visit site
I dont see any harm in using it up in your daily feed by adding a 1/4 or 1/2 scoop once a day. I got a bag for one on box rest, but giving a bit to others at night as well as bran doesnt keep for long so rather use it than waste it.

Vicki1986

Visit site
Ugh the bags are huge arent they?!

I got a bag (luckily to share between a few of us) to do bran mashes so pony would eat her anit biotics. she goes mad for a bran mash she absolutely loves it. i now give her a small one every week or so (only about 2 mugfulls as shes only 13.1)

if your feeding bran you should also feed limestone apparently. not sure of the exact reasons but something to do with bones.