BRC vaccination rules

kildalton

Visit site
My daughter was picked for her riding club dressage team, but was told tonight that as in 1998 when her mare came from Ireland there were 14 months between vaccinations she could not now compete as her vaccinations were not up to date. Can anybody shed any light on this ? Her vets have never said anything .
confused.gif

Weezy

Visit site
Bloody RC bureaucracy I am afraid
mad.gif

Funniest thing happened to me - I took a horse to an RC National Qualifier, her jabs had been a day late over 5 years before - I was told that I would be permitted to compete, but if I qualified I would not be allowed to Lincoln
confused.gif
I did qualify, I didn't go to Lincoln, but it made me LMAO as why are horses more likely to catch flu off my horse in Lincoln than in Gloucester
grin.gif

Zebedee

Visit site
Many vets don't check vac certs although they should. They should check the dates, & also the diagram against the horse to make sure it's the same one. ( I know of a few cases where the wrong certificate was presented for a vac to make a correct record for another horse).

For BRC rules the horse has to have an initial vacination, followed by a second no less than 21 & not more than 92 days after that (day one is the day AFTER the vacination).
When the horse has had the first two it can compete provided that the second jab wasn't administered any less than seven clear days prior to the event.
A third injection must be done no less than 150 days, & no more than 215 days after the second one, with an annual booster no more than 365 days (leap years excepted) thereafter.

carthorse

s150.photobucket.com
You don't have time to get it sorted , we had this with ours when he went to do his first BRC qualifier, it was noticed that before we had him he had gone over time and we had to miss that qualifier and restart his vacs

dozzie

Visit site
Agree with Weezy. Mine are not right as I forgot to do them a day early because it was a leap year.

It is 365 days between jabs although it is better to go 364 to be safe. (Think it has to be less than 365 days)

At least your club has identified this now. Some years ago I went to the championships and mine were ok but the horse I was with had a leap year discrepancy and had to spend the day on the box. Bloomin ridiculous as mine was allowed to compete yet had travelled with the one that wasnt.

cavalo branco

Visit site
The short answer is that your daughter cannot be in any teams until the vaccs are re-started again. Mad but true - I had to re-start mine when I bought my horse as the last owners had let 14 months lapse. An expensive mistake
confused.gif
confused.gif

clippi

Visit site
I hadn't realsied this when I bought mine. it was only when I came to get his jabs done that my vet spotted it and I had to have him redone as zebedee states. Not cheap!

Madam_max

Visit site
Thanks Mum for posting this and thanks for the replies. So I can go to the same venue on the same day and compete, but not just as part of the team, bloody stupid!!!
crazy.gif

SpruceRI

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Mum for posting this and thanks for the replies. So I can go to the same venue on the same day and compete, but not just as part of the team, bloody stupid!!!
crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason people in our Area are allowed to compete in a qualifier without the correct Vacs are that often we run non RC qualifier classes as well. So people are turning up to compete who haven't necessarily got the paperwork that the RC people need.

If anyone in our Club wants to compete in teams our Chef D'Equipe asks for a copy of the Vac card in the post first so she can check the dates. No one is under any illusion then.

At the Champs you have to follow the rules as laid down by the BRC. There's been lots of furore about the Vacs rules in recent years, certainly in our Area. Clubs wanted the Rules to be less harsh or at least to be some leeway as to how late the dates in between each vac could be.

My RC Committee decided that you can't have it all ways. Because if you say a vacc can be 3 days late one year - what about the people who's vacc is 4 days late??

From a veterinary point of view it probably doesn't matter. But where do you draw the line?

It would all go down the pan if you had leeways
smirk.gif

Zebedee

Visit site
Beautifully put.

Also people who say that it is stupid to be able to still compete but in a different section fail to take on board that IF there was a horse at the competition that was carrying the equine influenza virus, then the vaccinated horses are at least protected. However the unvaccinated ones could not only contract it themselves, but continue to spread it. Anyone who thinks that scenario is unlikely or in any case no big deal needs to google for infomation on the recent outbreaks in South Africa & Australia.

kick_On

Visit site
Speaking from point of view of Rc manager i demand a copy of flu and vac cert at training, as it's part of competetion rules of system, so i look at it like points or winning etc.........
so no correct flu and vac i can't put horse up for selection to team.........

The only thing i would want to improve is, when at area/championship getting passports checked. Our area had brought in new system this year where all team entries are going to be on a central area database, so i should run smoothly at areas - fingers crossed - at team declaration

I hope that a national rc data could be sorted aswell and that would make championship even better, but i do realise this is huge job...

Tis a pain to sort BUT it's just one of their LONG standing rules and maybe if other oraganisation followed passport checking you wouldn't have the issues of people riding 'ringers!!'