Breakfast meet - what to expect?

Jo1987

Visit site
My farrier has persuaded me today to come along to the local 'breakfast meet' a week on Saturday, he's told me its a couple of hours with smallish jumps and to wear tweed and a tie.
Can anyone offer any tips apart from that? I've never been hunting before and neither has my 6 year old, but he is sensible and fairly fit so I think he will cope!

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
A neckstrap can be a great aid for the rider, plus a shot of port and brandy.
Phone up hunt secretary for a chat.
Hack two or three miles if practical, there will be not a lot of action.

Last edited:

gunnergundog

Visit site
Hack to the meet if possible, rather than box in order to get ponio slightly settled.
Arrive as late as possible- ie just before they are due to move off, so no standing around. It is often the anticipation that gets horses wound up, rather than anything else.
Have your cap fee easily to hand.
Introduce yourself to all and sundry; explain it is your first time and horses first time too, then if he gets agitated later on, find someone with a seasoned hunter that is behaving and ask if you can go and stand by them. The calming influence of an old-timer can make all the difference.
Put a green ribbon in his tail (young horse) or a red one if you think he may kick.
Say good morning to the master.......ask who he is if you're unsure.
Don't feel you have to stay to the bitter end, but if you quit early ask the field master for the best way back home - don't assume you can return over all the land you have traversed.
When you return to the meet where you started out you will have a breakfast - this may range from a bacon buttie and a cup of tea to the most amazing farmhouse spread you can imagine with hams from the pigs reared on the farm and all manner of delicacies.....enjoy! Use the time to swap stories of the days exploits and forge new friendships.
If you hack to the meet it may be that you need to return pony home and then drive back to the meet to participate in the breakfast.

Have fun!

Jo1987

Visit site
Thanks, that's some helpful info! Horse is kept 2/3 miles from meet so that's ideal, saves organising transport, although I have a friend who has offered to collect my lad to take him home as he will be exhausted I think, he finds new experiences a bit taxing!
Spacefaer - I believe it's the albrighton and woodland.