Breaking in question?

izzyxxx

Visit site
Hi i am just wondering what bit you use because a lot of people i know go with the "breaking bit" you know with the 3 dangling bits in the middle but some break there horses in with a snaffle i know for a fact that my pony was broken in with a loose ring french link snaffle so i am just wondering if any one can tell me what they prefer to break there horses in using.... and why thank you!!!!

_jetset_

Visit site
Normal loose ring for me too... for the same reason as nat1003. I have seen a lot of horses fiddling with the bits too much due to the keys and sucking their tongues back.

gailt

Visit site
Im just bitting my lad, im using a loose ring happy mouth snaffle, he is taking it fine, although he still insists on holding the leadrope even with a bit in his mouth...

izzyxxx

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Im just bitting my lad, im using a loose ring happy mouth snaffle, he is taking it fine, although he still insists on holding the leadrope even with a bit in his mouth...

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds just like my youngster at the min (the chestnut in the sig) he grabs hold of my mares lead rope and unties her while they are standing and then wont let go of her lol she hates him lol she just gets confused! thanks every one!!! if any one else has any more suggestions keep them coming so glad that i asked you guys before going out and buying a new bit!!!

EMZ

Visit site
Either a straight bar happy mouhth or a french link as a breaking bit is too much and i dont like the nutcraker action of a snaffle some prefer the jonts of a french link where as some suit the straight bar and are happy to take a acontact.

cariadssogreat

Visit site
I always tend to go for a loose ring copper mouth french link snaffle - although you will always find different horses suit different bits - but thats what I start with. Oh and the reasons for that particular bit is a) copper warmer in the mouth. b) french link - no nutcracker action but has got movement. c) loose ring so they cant hang on the mouth.

RobinHood

Visit site
Hänsel wore a straight rubber bit covered in raspberry jam the first few times but he found it too much in his mouth so since then he has worn a double jointed full cheek bit that is made of some sort of copper mix.

virtual

iamanicecube.myphotoalbum.com
A french link to start with, then adjust accordingly (if they don't seem to like it, which hasn't been often), they are very mild, with no nutcracker action and can be used when they start competing, so no need to change bits. I prefer one with cheeks to help with steering.

flyingfeet

Visit site
Nathe snaffle - its more expensive than a rubber / happymouth, but when you feel the material it really is superior.

I agree with the comment about the key bits, they can lead to fiddling. I also disagree with people that leave the bridle on for hours at a time, it doesn't achieve anything.

I like to teach mine that having the gear on means they are going to do something fun and interesting.

nickie_leigh

New User
Visit site
when i broke my little youngster in a used a regular rubber snaffle and he is lovely in the mouth now a am against the breaking bit with the mouth losenges since i saw a horse slice her tongue on one
happy breaking
gd luck

Theresa_F

Visit site
Started on a rubber straight bit for first few times, then a key bit for the next few times and then a full cheek french link cyprium which Chancer is now starting to be ridden in - he likes this bit best of the various ones I tried after the key bit and will stay in it for the foreseeable future.

Farm Kat

Visit site
Most of the ponies I break are forresters, and so don't have alot of room in their mouths. I generally use a happy mouth loose ring, or will try a french link, however mine have all worn a cheapie inhand nylon bit for a while before breaking, to lead out, and showing and I sometimes stick with that for one or 2 goes, just out of sheer laziness.