Breaking in question!?

Fools Motto

Visit site
Sorry, I've been away.
It went ok, no dramas. I lined him first, then told rider I would just walk beside, but not on the line. She wasn't happy, so although on the line, she did everything. Rightly she says he maybe baby, but he is very powerful and the tumble did knock her a bit. All ended (and started) well, so no real complaints.
I've been away since, so over this weekend am unsure of what has been going on, but I'm due to ride him tomorrow, and go from there.

Thanks all for all input.

TarrSteps

Visit site
Are you alternating riding him? Lots of breaking yards do chop and change jockeys BUT they usually ride similarly and it can be too much at that point for a sensitive horse. Your aids will not be the same as your friend's aids, even with the best of intentions. Think of it like learning an language - once you have a working knowledge it's relatively easy to decipher accents but if two people with different accents are teaching you, it's going to be confusing. People who start a lot of horses for clients get very good and teaching a very "neutral" style and making sure all the blanks are filled in and the horse is used to variations, even if they ride extremely well and could adapt their own riding more.

I get that the plan is you are sharing the experience but some horses simply need a very consistent approach to start.