Breaking in saddle?

Looking to next summer and my (will then be 3 year old) was thinking of saddling him, but just wondering what to use? Try and get a cheap synthetic,a adjustable,or just keep buying as he changes shape (costly) what do you do?!?!

Blitzen

I think a decent adjustable gp saddle would be your best bet. I have an adjustable thorogood for my 3 year old, he long reins in it at the moment, and it will hopefully last him a while! It will need tweaking every few months, but much cheaper than buying a new saddle and having it fitted every time he changes shape. x

maggiesmum

I agree with treeless, I have a big issue with people using cheap not professionally fitted saddle for a horses first experience of weight bearing. I cringe when I see adverts for old knackered saddles with the words perfect for breaking! Surely the idea is to make it pleasant for the horse to prevent future problems? I understand there is some correlation between poorly fitting saddles used in the breaking process and cold backs.

A decent treeless will probably do the job nicely and will hold its value should you wish to revert to a tree'd saddle at a later date. :)

I used an old Wintec for 2 horses, and a treeless that looks/rides like a normal saddle, was ideal for my boy who refused to stop growing

I bought a new wintec and lunged with that on and before I started letting my pony have any weight on his back I got the saddler to check the gullet etc. He's now changed gullet but saddle still fits and it didn't cost me the earth.