Breaking sending away

thedutchess

Visit site
My pony has been sat on by me a couple of times and my kids are led on him, he long rains, drives in a cart and wears full tack, I want to send him away to be broken but don't know how long it will take and how much I can afford, I can not do it myself as I have a back injury and not risking it again, can I get some advice if you have done this and how long it took. Thanks

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
The yard I recommend does this, and in 6 weeks a horse as far as you describe already would be walk / trot/ canter in an arena, walk up the road, ride in the open and maybe even pop over a X pole for fun (but not "jump trained").

During this time you would be able to come and see the horse, and sit on to see how it is going.

All horses that have been have been in fab condition, not stressed, and the training has been good when they have returned home too.

Batgirl

Visit site
The yard I recommend does this, and in 6 weeks a horse as far as you describe already would be walk / trot/ canter in an arena, walk up the road, ride in the open and maybe even pop over a X pole for fun (but not "jump trained").

During this time you would be able to come and see the horse, and sit on to see how it is going.

All horses that have been have been in fab condition, not stressed, and the training has been good when they have returned home too.

This is almost exactly what I was going to post. with the addition of having the continuing dialogue e.g. 2 ponies came at the same time, same owner. One was quicker to back than the other so went back a couple of weeks earlier.

Costs will vary massively from area to area. I think it is about £150 per week at my yard.

fidleyspromise

Visit site
Mine had not been sat on, had saddle placed on but girth not tied up, had been lunged but not in tack.
She can be flighty and wasn't sure how it'd go.

In 6 weeks, she was walking and trotting and out hacking by herself. She was beginning to canter and was going over ground poles for a little variation.

I was delighted with her progress and over the moon at my pony who I thought would be unrideable.

happyclappy

Visit site
A good average is four to six weeks at £100 - £150 per week, You have already done a lot so you should be well within the six weeks, but all horses differ of course