Breaking to drive - where to start?

Montyforever

Visit site
I've recently started driving lessons and would like to break my mare to drive in the future :)
I'm just wondering other than getting her used to harness/blinkers, longreining, getting her used to traffic and things banging around her ect what else can i be doing to prepare her for it? I will be getting help when she's first in a carriage ect but would like to get her as used to things as I can :)
Ta in advance

Fii

Visit site
Has she been broken to ride??
As you said long reining... get her used to harness and long rein again.
Once you have the basics and you are confident she knows what you want her to do, then you progress to her getting used to something being pulled behind her.
You could try long reinging her while someone else walks behind you dragging something like a tyre to get her used to the noise.
then when you are really sure she wont freak out at something behind her attach the traces to a tyre, making sure they are wide enough (or attach a swingle tree to keep them apart. you would be safer having someone at her head at the same time when you start this. This all takes time, and each prosses mustnt be rushed!!
I am sure someone with more experience will come along soon and give you a better account of what to do.

Fii

Visit site
Oh and i would advise using a safety catch to attach the traces, just in case you need to remove them in an emergency!

Molasses

Visit site
Sally Walrond has a whole series of books from learning to drive to harnesses etc. etc and are a nice starting point

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Breaking-Horse-Harness-Step-step/dp/0851318231

Is there anyone you know who drives who can give you one-on-one as it's difficult to teach remotely if you know what i mean. The more long-lining and getting her used to things touching her sides and random noises at odd moments the better start for her education. But you really need to have someone knowledgeable with you. :)

Fii

Visit site
Also teach her to go back, on command, and be able to direct her backwards where ever you need her to go.
To teach her to back up into shafts, place two peices of four by two, or simular, shaft length, with one end resting on a gate the other on the ground, and teach her to back between them and stand still. Never click your tongue to go backwards, save that for moveing off! A command of " go back" is good to teach!
Teaching to stand still wherever you need her to for however long is good education as well!

Montyforever

Visit site
Nope she's not been broken to ride, she was a very hyper youngster and has only just grown up and started to calm down but she's never going to be ridden. She really seems to enjoy working though! She's the only pony i know that would rather be lunged than groomed :p
She's not too spooky but does occasionally do her prancy trot and have a squeal to make sure everyones watching her!

lazybee

Visit site
The way I do it is to have someone to stand alongside long reining though the tugs; fully tacked. Then I will stand behind with our lightweight training gig turned around so I can push it like wheelbarrow (it's very light) I can push it with one hand. I then push the gig up close behind making noise at the same time. We then 'walk on' together with me following close bouncing it about making noise. if all goes well we move on to the next step. I extend the traces so I can hold them at the same time unattached between my hands and the shafts (remember the gig is turned around backwards), again we 'walk on' this time there's a light pull on the breast plate. All of this is quite safe as nothing is attached. Next step is to attach the gig using quick release shackles. then (depending on the horse) either slowly mount the gig with assistant on a lead rope and slowly drive around the sand school. If you don't feel ready to get in the gig we sometimes extend the reins and stand either behind or to the side. the most important commands at this stage are: whoa and stand, you need to know you still have brakes.

Last edited: