breaking too early?

serena2005

Visit site
i dont know if this is my place to say anything so i just thought what you think of this....

my friend has a filly that has recently turned 2,the vet said she may be ready to bbe backed at 2 and a half, she loose schools it over jumps, heights up to about 2'6 if not a little bigger. she has bitted her and put a saddle on once or twice but gave up with that becuase the pony went round bronking ( to be expected but there you go)

the pony is about 14hh and quite fine and the rider is around 11 stone, about 5'7 foot, she has ridden her bareback in the school and hacks up up the quite lane.

i have broken in horses and have always done things alot slower than this, she doesnt seem to care as its 'just a project horse'
i really want to say something to her but am i in the wrong or could she be doing her serious damage?

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
They seem to start warmbloods abroad earlier than we do our horses in the Uk but I think that's because they mature earlier than ours, I certainly wouldn't start anything before three as their joints etc are still sort of settling to their eventual size as they grow, and she risks things like splints.
Sounds a bit silly really, as if it breaks down with splints she will then have to wait ages anyway.
I doubt she would listen to you but you could leave articles about starting youngsters lying around!

serena2005

Visit site
when she said to me about riding her bareback, i was like what? shouldnt you be lunging her in a saddle first? she laughed and said she would be alright, i told her she wasnt doing it very professionally, she just laughed it off and got on...

so yeah your probably right she wont listen, i just dont get people sometimes.

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
No, you just can't stop some people ruining ponies or horses. Let's hope she has a little (not too serious) accident - trips and does her ankle or something - and it puts her out of action just enough for her to leave off the pony. The stats (14 hands, fine build, 11 stone) are scary. Poor pony! Show her this post!

serena2005

Visit site
i should say something then.... i have been waiting for her to ask me what she thinks.

she offered to hack out with me because i could only hack my horse at the time, then said she would bring the filly and i was like, no thanks i dont really feel like hacking!

Bossanova

Visit site
fine to bit and get the saddle on but I certainy wouldnt jump her unecessarily and riding seems a bit early too