Brean- horses stuck!

alfirules

Visit site
Heard on the news that 2 horses ot stuck in the mud at Brean downs. their riders jumped off and ran to safety and got help to rescue the horses. the horses were later pulled out of the mud. sounds like a lucky escape! it must have been terrifying for the riders and especially the horses!

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
I live just down the road and I feel so sorry for the rescue services as all summer long we get idiots coming to the beach. Every week a couple of people are rescued from the mud. I ride along there and would never venture off the sand - in order to get stuck in the mud you do have to make an effort and travel out quite far towards the sea if the tide is out.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
I would never ride somewhere coastal without getting the correct information - look at Morcombe Bay with its fast tides. Brean is the same yes it has nice beaches but it also has fast tides and mud which its famous for. People now just have no commonsense and do not get advice. Perhaps I am being harsh but living next to it and being surrounded by people acting stupidly leaves you with little faith.

sugarnspice

Visit site
I really don't see how they could manage it. If breans like Weston there will be signs up all over the place saying DANGER SINKING MUD (or something like that, don't go on the beach much!). They must have ridden really far out to get onto the mud, whats wrong with riding on the sand?!

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
I personally would never go on a beach without a) checking the tide times and b) contacting the local tourist board (or similar) to check for anything else I should be aware of. However if you never get to go on the beach it is very easy to get carried away with the thought of miles of sand and going paddling/swimming with your horse. STUPID if you don't know the area, so aren't aware of quick sand or currents etc.. but still easy to get carried away, and hindsight is a wonderful thing (if you live to tell the tale). If you haven't lived by the sea, it is difficult to appreciate the power, speed and danger of tides.

dieseldog

Visit site
The sea is always out, which is probably why they got stuck trying to reach the sea.

I used to work on Brean Sands and it is pretty obvious what is safe to ride on and what isn't, Sand - OK, Mud not OK. It's that easy.

At least everyone is OK though.