breast girth/5 point for lateral saddle slippage

smiggy

Visit site
Have a little pony we use for mounted games and are having problems with the saddle slipping sideways. The saddle does fit well, I am using a barnsby non slip pad and a neoprene sports medicine girth.Its fine for hacking but once you add in speed and rider leaning, it slips to one side. I think it is because rider (though not overweight or pony) is tall in the body.
Any suggestions with regards to breastplates etc or do they just stop saddle slipping back? Dont use a martingale so dont especially need martingale attachement.

mandwhy

Visit site
My horse is round so always having this issue, a breastplate wouldn't hurt but that's not really what it is designed for. I use a Stephens Gel Eze pad which is awesome and I can get on from the ground if I have to so I imagine it would help, and I have never heard of one causing a problem. I use it between the horse and normal saddlecloth and it works, although probably without a saddle cloth would even more effective.

I think that one you have linked is the same thing but with the sheepskin collars for decoration and therefore quite expensive. I don't wash my gel eze every time, when freshly washed it is super sticky! http://www.clippersharp.com/prod/ge..._medium=referral&utm_campaign=Google+Shopping

Bobbly

Visit site
Try a different girthing pattern, if you have four straps try using the two front ones on the side that it slips too, and the first and fourth on the other side. May also work with three straps but not as well. He'll probably have some muscle wastage on the side to which it slips, make sure that the flocking is even though, not built up more to the wasted side, give it time then to rebuild the muscle, maybe using some kind of anti slippage pad to aid stability.

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site
Might be worth speaking to Dianchi - she does horse ball and short of being a Cossack, there's not much else that will put the same sort of stress on a saddle so there might be something she can suggest :)

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
You might want to get a second opinion on the fit, yes mounted games to put a LOT of pressure on a saddle, but if it just a tiny bit wrong it could cause it to move. A flatter seat, neater pommel, who knows, a slightly different shape might work even better - I commonly see saddles that are unstable because they are too curvy from front to back, they can move sideways as well as the more classic rocking.