Breeder or rider??????

spottysport

Visit site
As posted before, I am a small time breeder. I normally sell my offspring as yearlings, 2 yr olds ect. (never as foals as I am a 'natural weaning person' usually at about 10 months lol! However, I think a horse's success lies mostly with it's jockey. So, even if you have Headley Brittania, if you don't have Lucinda to ride her, you are not going to win Badminton! I breed some really nice stock, but I sell to 'everyday' riders. This is sometimes REALLY frustrating, but good homes can be hard to come by. Does anyone else feel like this??
Sorry if a bit garbled, and a stiff drink for getting this far!
Sx

Tia

Visit site
No I don't find it frustrating in the slightest. I buy in top quality yearlings, keep them till they are 3 or 4 and then sell them. I find the best person for the horse and I really don't care whether they are looking to compete them or not. They have the sum of money I am looking for, they offer good long term homes and the horses, I know will be cared for perfectly with them. That's my responsibility to find the best person compatible for the horse....and I do!

spottysport

Visit site
Yes, I try to find the best person for the horse. But you must have occasion where you KNOW the horse is too good for the person you sell it to? Breeders get their reputation by the results of their offspring - can't build a reputation without a good ambassador for your breeding though, can you?

Navalgem

www.addienasporthorses.com
You only need to get one offspring to a good rider....... the rest will follow. I think thats why a lot of breeders keep a youngster or two that they feel/think is special and find a rider for it to get it known and raise their profile.

Tia

Visit site
Ah well by selling my stock to great people I have actually been gradually building up my reputation. I frequently have calls from unknown people living up to distances of over 6 hours away from me
shocked.gif
, on numerous occasions....so someone is chattering, LOL!! I very rarely sell any of my horses locally; most end up moving to at least a couple of hours away; mainly because the locals wouldn't pay my prices. Suits me.

To be honest the breed I am involved in is the Quarter Horse, therefore the breeder is generally not the person who gets the credit for the horse anyway; it is the producer along with the bloodlines. I stick to Foundation Stock and only have a particular bloodline which I know from experience is a perfect line for anyone wishing to do anything with their horse.

My purchasers often come back to purchase other horses from me; this has happened time and time again so although I've only been here since 2004 I am very happy with the reputation I have built up. No way would I risk that by selling the wrong horse to the wrong buyer and no I have never felt that I have undersold any of my horses. I see the potential in them and I believe that the buyers also do which is why my first crop of sellers-on are now just turning up to competitions and I know they will do well. That is pleasure enough for me.
cool.gif

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
Your problem seems very similar to the large breeders, and studs with fresh stallions.
Its even harder when it is the mares first foal, so there is no form from the brothers and sisters to up the interest.
They solve the problem by keeping a few and putting them in training themselves. That way you can ensure the horse is given every chance.
Yes, it costs money but should ensure you make more money in the long term.
If you ahve confidence in the stock you are producing then take a chance and go for it.
It only takes one good one to make you!

Imonone

Visit site
You need to spnsor someone decent to ride one of your talented off spring or perhaps the stallion itself. This is how the bigger studs promote themselves. However it would probably work our expensive but you would get a lot out of it.