Breeders Elite gain full membership of the WBFSH

popsdosh

Visit site
Just for everyone to know that Breeders Elite have gained full membership of the World Breading Federation of Sport Horse which is super news for British Breeding. :)

Took long enough! Dont think it will change my plans though. All my fillies go SHGB and colts go AES as its half the price.

popsdosh

Visit site
Well it's always hard to join a club if the rules keep changing! I've heard SHBGB are having some difficulty as they haven't moved with the times and are for sale..,

How can you sell anything that belongs to its members! I think your way off the mark. The main reason BE were not allowed to join was due to it being run as an autocracy.

Alec Swan

Visit site
…….. The main reason BE were not allowed to join was due to it being run as an autocracy.

And AES isn't? I hope that if you register your colt foals with AES you get it in writing that subsequent owners won't be permitted to change the name, unless of course, you're not bothered!

Alec.

popsdosh

Visit site
And AES isn't? I hope that if you register your colt foals with AES you get it in writing that subsequent owners won't be permitted to change the name, unless of course, you're not bothered!

Alec.

I will let you into a secret Alec , I dont believe BE are members of the prefix register either and will readily change a name. Who was running AES when you had your problem or maybe had put the system in place prior to that?

Alec Swan

Visit site
…….. . Who was running AES when you had your problem or maybe had put the system in place prior to that?

By those on the Continent.

An interesting point was raised by Ken Rehill some while back, when he pointed out that the UK has about 3 times the number of registration authorities as there are over the whole of Europe! Our registration system, as a whole, remains too fragmented with tiny and sometimes damaging little kingdoms within, in my view. You used the word 'autocracy', a good and fitting description.

Alec.

ets. All those Registration boards who I've dealt with assure us that they're there to support the breeder. That's piffle in the cases of some. NO ONE buys a horse only on the condition that they can change the name. Why so many of the registration authorities pander to the new owner and abandon the breeder, I'd like to know.

Last edited:

popsdosh

Visit site

An interesting point was raised by Ken Rehill some while back, when he pointed out that the UK has about 3 times the number of registration authorities as there are over the whole of Europe! Our registration system, as a whole, remains too fragmented with tiny and sometimes damaging little kingdoms within, in my view. You used the word 'autocracy', a good and fitting description.

Alec.

ets. All those Registration boards who I've dealt with assure us that they're there to support the breeder. That's piffle in the cases of some. NO ONE buys a horse only on the condition that they can change the name. Why so many of the registration authorities pander to the new owner and abandon the breeder, I'd like to know.

Point number one Alec HM established the system they used and it wasnt changed when he left and from experience the same is true of the latest incarnation I hope the OP is prepared for that happening as it may. A word to the wise I have a way of stopping it happening which bypasses them. I will enlighten them that wish to protect themselves if they get in touch.

point two was really to say my prefix was registered at the beginning of prefix register (been using before) I have had issues with others using it and had nothing but support fron SHBGB in sorting them out . BD had to rename six horses which they werent happy about but they shouldnt be so cavalier.

To finish on a general note although BE have tried to bring in a democratically elected board to get their membership ,having carefully looked at the rules regarding the committee alas I feel nothing will change.

Last edited:

sywell

Visit site

Alec.

When the EU Commission did an audit of DEFRA they said that it was never intended to have more than one ID only registrar (horse for food and production) and DEFRA appointed about 20 until they were stopped by the Minister at that time. DEFRA said it could not change the policy on hisoric grounds. I have it in writing.

sywell

Visit site
Point number one Alec HM established the system they used and it wasnt changed when he left and from experience the same is true of the latest incarnation I hope the OP is prepared for that happening as it may. A word to the wise I have a way of stopping it happening which bypasses them. I will enlighten them that wish to protect themselves if they get in touch.

point two was really to say my prefix was registered at the beginning of prefix register (been using before) I have had issues with others using it and had nothing but support fron SHBGB in sorting them out . BD had to rename six horses which they werent happy about but they shouldnt be so cavalier.

To finish on a general note although BE have tried to bring in a democratically elected board to get their membership ,having carefully looked at the rules regarding the committee alas I feel nothing will change.

Name changing is recognised in some countries but the original name has to remain in the passport as the breed society name. I am always fascinated that top competitors seem to find it easy to change names. I wonder how many recognise the Olympic horse bred in Wales called Dimitri

popsdosh

Visit site
Name changing is recognised in some countries but the original name has to remain in the passport as the breed society name. I am always fascinated that top competitors seem to find it easy to change names. I wonder how many recognise the Olympic horse bred in Wales called Dimitri

The two mentioned seem to manage it and indeed encourage.

Alec Swan

Visit site
…….. . DEFRA said it could not change the policy on hisoric grounds. I have it in writing.

If DEFRA can't manage British agriculture, and they can't, what earthly chance have they got with a needlessly complex and apparently competitive registration system for equines?

When I fell out with the AES, the previous owner of the company (Henk M) assured me that name changing on a whim was illegal. I phoned a Whitehall number, got a junior Minister's mate and asked him, he fluffed and guffed and said that the department had decided to leave it to the individual Breed societies.

It also seems that even that august body Wetherbys permit new owners to change a horse's name. I gather that it's an expensive procedure which may explain their acceptance!

Alec.